Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Sequence in PDW 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:34 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 7:38 AM
I apologize if this is not the correct forum. I am trying to determine if sequences (as in SQL Server 2012) are supported in PDW 2008. If not, what alternatives are available? I understand that IDENTITY values are not supported. The values are needed during bulk inserts and I would rather avoid using a UDF as that would eliminate the benefit of inserting data in bulk.

I appreciate any feedback available.

"...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." -- Mosiah 2:17
Post #1521866
Posted Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:54 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:01 PM
it looks like not in Parallel Data Warehouse 2008, no sequences, sorry.
they are appear to available in Parallel Data Warehouse2012

Sequences were introduced in SQL server 2012, and each PDW version is essentially a plug in built on top of a SQL server version;

the 2012 white paper says it can take advantage of everything available in 2012 enterprise edition, but i could not find anything explicitly mentioning datatypes and PDW; it kept pointing me back to SQL Server version

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1522027
Posted Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:58 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 7:38 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. I felt like I was getting the same run-around as well, but I arrived at the same answer you did.

"...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." -- Mosiah 2:17
Post #1522029
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse