Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 
        
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On


Add to briefcase

2008 vs 2012 - Same Proc, different outcomes Expand / Collapse
Author
Message
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:02 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:19 AM
Points: 314, Visits: 677
Hey guys,

I've been tearing my hair out over an issue with SSRS for weeks now (yes, weeks). I've got a fairly simple stored procedure which outputs 21 columns of data and about 160,000 rows. Just a straight up select, nothing complicated.

My issue comes with subscriptions in XML format.

Under SSRS 2008 these don't work with the error 'Failure writing file An error occurred during rendering of the report.'

If I make some of the columns null instead of pulling data from a table I can get it to run successfully.

Under SSRS 2012 the same procedure works exactly fine, a subscription gives me the results I need in xml format.

The fact that 2012 works fine makes me think it's not an issue with the data, however, I just can't get around the issue in 2008.

Has anyone encountered similar?
Post #1515573
Posted Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:48 AM


SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:31 PM
Points: 2,389, Visits: 2,924
I'm not sure, but if I read your problem it looks like a limitation in XML-size. Maybe there is a property in SSRS (like there is in SSMS) to set the size of a XML?
You mention it works when you alter column values to NULL. Does it also work if you limit the rows in the resultset (example: 100,000 instead of 160,000)?


** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Post #1515612
Posted Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:56 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:19 AM
Points: 314, Visits: 677
Thanks, I think it was a volume of data issue, I tried with a different query limiting the results set, once I hit about 115,000 rows of data the XML would fail to create, below that and I was safe. From some brief reading I suspect the server it's running on isn't beefy enough as the entire XML file needs to be held in memory before it can be created I believe.

Cheers for the prompt :)
Post #1516368
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse