Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Log Shipping Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:52 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 8:07 AM
I have set up a server to monitor log shipping (SQLMon01) from a primary (SQLApp01) to a secondary (SQLApp02) and it's working just fine. I want to monitor log shipping on another system. Primary (SQLComp01) to a secondary (SQLComp02). It'll likely have a different schedule.

Can I use SQLMon01 to monitor a second log shipping setup? I tried this once before and the old alerts were replaced with new alerts and I lost my old alerts. I was thinking I could just rename the job - LSAlert_SQLMon01 to a different name (like LSAlert_SQLApp) and set up a new LSAlert_something for SQLComp. Two different LSAlerts for the different systems would be less confusing. I really don't want to have to build another server just to monitor.

Thanks,
Terrie

Post #1513966
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:20 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:52 AM
A single instance can be used to monitor multiple log shipping plans

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1514178
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:58 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

So can I just rename the current log shipping job and add the new one. Or when I build the new log shipping job can I change the default name so it doesn't write over the old one?

Post #1514255
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:29 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

why rename the job?

For each instance you want to monitor an LSAlert_instancename job is created.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1514310
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:40 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

When I built the first logshipping job it defaulted to LSAlert_SQLMon01. When I tried to build a second it did the same and dropped and rebuilt LSAlert_SQLMon01 with my new alerts and I lost my original alerts. I didn't see anywhere where I had the option to name the new alerts job to LSAlert something else. Did I just not see that?

Post #1514324
Posted Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:25 AM

SSCertifiable

can you detail the steps you used to deploy the log shipping plan and whether using GUI or scripted

Post #1514354
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse