Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Insert performance in SSIS Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:40 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:31 AM
Hi all,

I was reading up on this article:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services+(SSIS)/102924/

And I was wondering in the article it was about updating the tables of your database but not a complete new insert. Once a day a import runs to import every table (again). I was wondering is option 2 mentioned in the article not better then one single import run??
Post #1512949
Posted Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:47 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:14 AM
prennings (11/10/2013)
Hi all,

I was reading up on this article:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services+(SSIS)/102924/

And I was wondering in the article it was about updating the tables of your database but not a complete new insert. Once a day a import runs to import every table (again). I was wondering is option 2 mentioned in the article not better then one single import run??

Here is your link again, this time in click-able form.

The gist of the article is that row-by-row updates using the OLEDBCOMMAND component are slow, but running such updates in parallel is less slow. It's definitely not fast, whatever you do.

Finding a set-based solution usually leads to the best performance (though you may need to consider batching updates and deletes to avoid excess tlog pressure).

Back to your question, which is a little unclear, to be honest. You seem to be asking whether it is better to UPDATE than to INSERT? I don't see how you can replace one with the other, unless your INSERT is preceded by a DELETE, perhaps.

What do you mean by 'single import run'?

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1512950
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse