Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

checkdb on Prod Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:36 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:55 AM
Hi all,

I just want a confirmation, i was told that running checkdb on a db that has not had checkdb run in sometime, can cause problems if corruption is found. Is this true?

Some of our DB's, integrity checks are not done on a regular basis and i want to perform integrity checks on a daily basis.
Post #1509960
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:44 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 4:32 PM
Ask yourself, which is preferable, a corrupt database that you know is corrupt or a corrupt database that you don't know is corrupt.

CheckDB when run without a repair option (which is how you should run it) reads and checks for corruption, that's it.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1509963
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:54 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:55 AM
Thank you Gail for the prompt response.
I understand what you mean regarding a corrupt DB. I would prefer to know if a Db is corrupt than not know.

GilaMonster (10/30/2013)
CheckDB when run without a repair option (which is how you should run it) reads and checks for corruption, that's it.

My thoughts exactly, appreciate the feedback, and i will definitely be taking this up with my senior.
Thank you again Gail.
Post #1509969
Posted Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:53 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:33 AM
If this is a particularly busy system, I'd consider restoring a recent backup onto another server and run CHECKDB against that.

It can be a pretty intensive taskand may impact system performance.
Post #1513535
Posted Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:33 PM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 11:33 AM
Before proceeding with this make sure you have abundant information regarding checkdb as it comes with useful switches which can significantly cause server stress .

Go step by step for starters read this : http://www.sqlperformance.com/2012/11/io-subsystem/minimize-impact-of-checkdb
Post #1549945
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse