Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Need Advice in Training . (This is a Repost by the way form a different Section in the Forum) Expand / Collapse
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:08 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:28 PM
I am currently unemployed and am using my current downtime to get trained in SQL Server . I worked in Excel a great deal in my previous career as a mid level Customer Service Analyst / Data Validator so learning a database wont be as difficult as a total newbie to working with large volumes of data .
I am currently learning SQL 2008R2 as that is the training I have available for me and it breaks everything down from proper syntax for writing clean readable code to the differences with SQL and TSQL so I am pleased with the course material and it also has exercises to reinforce the course material.

I have two concerns one to do with future employment and the other to do with future releases of SQL Server .

A)I am unemployed as stated previously . I am realistic with my career options as my SQL knolwdge will be limited , however in the interest of heading back to the workforce by the Spring of 2014 I have my nose pointed to be a Junior Report Developer / Analyst . I would feel very comfortable generating reports for Excel Or Access using SSRS as I have had to show spreadsheet presentations i.e. graphs, Pivot Charts in past jobs . So my question is can I jump directly into learning SSRS AFTER I have completed my SQL and TSQL training (this includes such topics as Inner and Outer Joins, Writing Aggregate Queries ,SubQueris ,CTE's , Design Patterns , Indexes , Triggers ,Geospatial Data ,CLOBs and BLOBs ,Creating Tables ) . Is SSIS necerrary to get position as a Report Writer ? I am anxious about returning to work so if I could would like to only study things I need now . If however it is necessary to learn SSIS then I wont take any shortcuts as I want to be a well rounded as possible since my knowledge wont be very advanced . Also is SSRS necessary for the same reason ?

B). With SQL2014 coming out is my training on SSRS 2008R2 in any way obsolete ? I do see some jobs still asking for 2005 users (I live in the North East , NYC to be exact) .. Will I still be able to gain employment at a junior level even if the role only needs SQL but may not necessarily be a Report Developer position per say . Also what jobs should I be looking for coming out ? A vague inquiry I know but if someone could ballpark it .

Post #1507784
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:39 PM

Last Login: Today @ 12:45 PM
No need to repost. The regulars around here will see your thread no matter what section you post in.

The original thread is here.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1507792
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 3:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 12:44 PM
Actually I would never have seen this except that it was posted here ... I only check a limited number of threads as I don't have the time for all of them.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)

"If in the future, you should cry a tear, cry one for them [the murder victims]. If in the future, you should say a prayer, say one for them. And if in the future, you should light a candle, light one for them." James Blackburn, in closing argument in the "Fatal Vision" murders trial
Post #1507838
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse