Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL 2012 v SQL 2014 - is it worth going for 2014? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:06 AM
We're in the process of investigating the implementation of SQL Server 2012 across our infrastructure, however, as time's gone on regarding pricing etc. SQL 2014 is getting closer for release. Is it worth waiting for that to be released and upgrading from our current environment (SQL 2008) straight to 2014 rather than the proposed 2012?
Post #1507042
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:57 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 7:39 AM
Depends on the features you want I guess.
If you desperately want Hekaton for your OLTP, I would wait for SQL 2014.

If you have an environment which is more used for BI, SQL 2012 has almost everything you want (except clustered columnstore indexes perhaps).

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1507050
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:20 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

We're at an embryonic stage with a big BI project really, and are planning on re-working all our internally developed web applications utilising SharePoint (especially SharePoint workflow designer for case management).
Post #1507063
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:36 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

For the moment, SQL 2014 doesn't have much BI improvements (except for clustered columnstore), but they might announce new features. Who knows?

SSIS will get some new adaptors (OData and Azure for example), but I'm not sure they are SQL 2014 exclusive.

Post #1507070
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:25 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 7:08 AM
Griffster (10/22/2013)
We're at an embryonic stage with a big BI project really, and are planning on re-working all our internally developed web applications utilising SharePoint (especially SharePoint workflow designer for case management).

Since you say "big BI project" does that mean you are going to be on Enterprise Edition? If so then if you make a true EDW the significant enhancements to column store indexes, more online operations, improved optimizer engine, better partitioning, etc could be worth the wait.

If you aren't doing Enterprise Edition I don't think I would wait (and incur the non-zero risk of using 2014 soon after release).

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1507175
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:49 AM
SSC Veteran

Yes, we will be buying the Enterprise Edition. Looks like it would be worthwhile then so long as it's not too long a wait. If the release will be in Q2 or later in 2014 it may be too far away. We wanted to go for Enterprise Edition mainly for the Always On functionality which is a key driver for getting the procurement through.
Post #1507194
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:13 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Griffster (10/22/2013)
Yes, we will be buying the Enterprise Edition. Looks like it would be worthwhile then so long as it's not too long a wait. If the release will be in Q2 or later in 2014 it may be too far away. We wanted to go for Enterprise Edition mainly for the Always On functionality which is a key driver for getting the procurement through.

Be careful with AGs and SharePoint. The replay gets a SINGLE THREAD on each end per database and can be a bottleneck. The best you can hope for is 50MB per second and even that is not achievable on many systems. SP and it's huge blobs can be an issue when it comes to mirroring throughput. Be sure to test at scale before you roll out, and don't be disappointed if things don't work as you desire.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1507250
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 11:37 AM
SSC Veteran

TheSQLGuru (10/22/2013)
Griffster (10/22/2013)

Be careful with AGs and SharePoint. The replay gets a SINGLE THREAD on each end per database and can be a bottleneck. The best you can hope for is 50MB per second and even that is not achievable on many systems. SP and it's huge blobs can be an issue when it comes to mirroring throughput. Be sure to test at scale before you roll out, and don't be disappointed if things don't work as you desire.

Sorry Kevin, what did you mean by AGs here? Is it something to do with the Always On functionality?
Post #1507266
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:54 PM

SSChampion

Griffster (10/22/2013)
TheSQLGuru (10/22/2013)
Griffster (10/22/2013)

Sorry Kevin, what did you mean by AGs here? Is it something to do with the Always On functionality?

If I'm not mistaken AG is Availability Group.

Post #1507298
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:16 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

Yeah - AG is Availability Group. Stuff with the Always On sphere.

That you asked that question has me a bit concerned. Implementing ANY form of HA/DR is a complex and risky undertaking. I do hope you will be either getting some proper training or some professional assistance before you embark on your mission. Please do not think you can just slap together a system and expect to truly have HA/DR and an optimal configuration that also matches your various and sundry requirements. I know of some horror stories out there (some of them created by consulting firms that did the very thing I just warned against)!! DAMHIK

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1507389
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse