Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Minor Problems Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:56 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Minor Problems

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1506950
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:22 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 2:00 AM
I have the following criteria for my posts:

1) There is no existing post that already covers what I would say (although consolidation and/or simplification are viable reasons to still post).
2) There is inherent value in the post for either me at a later date or someone else i.e. it is a solution to a problem, not just opinion.

This criteria has lead me to write just four posts. I am not interested in filling a blog up with musings (although this is a valuable output from some people). I find that there are plenty of forums (in the nontechnical sense although they are mostly forums in the technical sense) for opinions and discussions on various topics.

If people want to research me online I am clear about who I am in all my online presences; same name, same avatar. Of course, I am lucky to have an uncommon name combination.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1507065
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:40 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 6:44 AM
I see Steve's point, but I honestly learn more from forums like this than most blogs. Easier to find stuff here, too.

Post #1507072
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:45 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 5:24 AM
No problem is a minor problem when you are in the midst of the problem in a production situation. This is more so for a first time problem for the person.

There will be multiple problems that may need a solution . Each problem needs to be solved in some sequence, some problems require immediate attention and others can wait for some time.

All solutions should be posted, as there is a likelihood that some solutions will be applicable to an environment and not to others.

A person looking for a solution when he browses around will be relieved by knowing that such a problem exists and there are multiple solutions.

Unfortunately there is no school that teaches how to solve problems each person has to learn and fend for himself and there is no school to teach how not to create problems.
Post #1507075
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:47 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 3:58 AM
100% agreement. I usually tell people to write a post on backups. Yes, they've been done before. I think I must have 6-8 blog posts and at least that many articles. Why do something that's been done before? Because people still don't do their backups and maybe your post will reach someone that mine won't.

Plus, remember, blogging is different than writing articles. Blogging is about helping you remember what you've done by providing a place to put it into a logical order that you can retrieve later. Also, it provides a place to point employers to show them your ability to learn and document that learning, huge skills for good employers. Don't get hung on whether someone else has written the same blog post before. I almost guarantee, whatever it is, someone else has probably done it. But write it anyway. It's practice writing. It's practice ordering your thoughts. It has value.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1507076
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:48 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Apart from a site that initially could be read as a site being knowledgable on gender switching, the biggest pet peeve for me in this area are the people who blog via copy and paste (with a little change in order for them to demonstrate how little they truly understand) and sites which provide a view over existing AND public forums (oh maybe this is the solution...oh no it is exactly the same as three other forum sites...grrrrr).

Gaz

Post #1507077
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:49 AM

SSCertifiable

Grant Fritchey (10/22/2013)
...I almost guarantee, whatever it is, someone else has probably done it. But write it anyway. It's practice writing. It's practice ordering your thoughts. It has value.

Fair comment.

Gaz

Post #1507080
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:42 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:32 AM
Thank you Steve for this article. This is something I need to do but haven't done yet. I guess writing the first one is the most difficult.

Tony
------------------------------------
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Post #1507145
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:05 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, June 20, 2014 8:23 AM
lshanahan (10/22/2013)
I see Steve's point, but I honestly learn more from forums like this than most blogs. Easier to find stuff here, too.

I, too, can find things easier here. But I see Steve's point, in that blogging about it raises your visibility to the rest of the world. Perhaps people seeking help on doing something like SQL Backups, haven't heard of SQL Server Central before? Who knows, but it does seem to me that recognition, which was one of the things Steve was trying to address in his article, is better done through blogging than through responding to requests on SSC forums.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1507159
Posted Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:18 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 3:58 AM
tabinsc (10/22/2013)
Thank you Steve for this article. This is something I need to do but haven't done yet. I guess writing the first one is the most difficult.

Nah, first one is easy. Second, third, fourth, etc. to infinity, that's when they get difficult. Maintaining a blog over time really is a lot of work. And you want to post in a semi-regular fashion. I'd say, minimum, once every month to 6 weeks. Any less than that and it looks kind of unprofessional.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1507169
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse