Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Using Declared Variables Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 2:10 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, October 5, 2013 8:02 AM
Hello all,

I am new to SQL coding. I would like to set my declared global variable like so. However when I do, it says that the column ratecode does not exist. This column is what I use in my "AS" statment. Is there a way to do this?

Declare @ratecodeVar varchar(15)

SELECT COALESCE(NULLIF(over_rate2,''), NULLIF(over_rate,''), std_rate) AS ratecode FROM dbo.matter WHERE clt_code = 'AME021' and mat_code = 'C133244'

SET @ratecodeVar = ratecode
Post #1497545
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 2:52 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 3:37 PM
That's because you can't use a value from a SELECT, outside the SELECT. To assign the value is easier than you might have thought.

Declare @ratecodeVar varchar(15)

SELECT @ratecodeVar = COALESCE(NULLIF(over_rate2,''), NULLIF(over_rate,''), std_rate)
FROM dbo.matter
WHERE clt_code = 'AME021'
AND mat_code = 'C133244'

By the way, there's no such thing as global variables (user-defined at least) in SQL Server. All of them are local variables.

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1497557
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 2:54 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, October 5, 2013 8:02 AM
Thanks!
Post #1497558
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse