Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Installation disc for MS SQL 2008 R2 DE from a downloaded ISO file Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 23, 2013 6:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:01 AM
How do I create an installation disc for MS SQL 2008 R2 DE from a downloaded ISO file?
Post #1497359
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:40 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:34 AM
There are a few choices...

a) You can mount the iso file in a virtual DVD drive on the server where you want to run the install

b) You can install a virtual DVD drive on the server wher you keep all your software, mount the iso, then copy the contents to a separate folder. You can then use this folder when you want to run an install.

A tool I often use is Pismo http://www.pismotechnic.com/pfm/ap/. With this, you can right-click an iso file and select Quick Mount and you are browsing it like any other folder.

If you have a Win 8 / Win 2012 server handy, this has built-in facilities for browsing iso files.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1497853
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:01 AM
Thank you SSCrazy, but that is not quite what I am looking for.

In the past, I have purchase software licenses, downloaded the ISO file, and burned the image to a disc. When I did this in the past, the resulting files and folders on the burnt disc looked exactly like the files and folders on the disc from a retail version of the same software.

When I burn this ISO image, it looks like one file with an ISO extension. The file on the disc is a zipped file which cannot be used unless it is unzipped.

Now, I have unzipped the file unto a hard drive and installed the software from there. However, I do not want to unzip the file unto the hard drive for each computer. I want it on a disc which I can take from computer to computer.

Unfortunately, the unzipped ISO is close to 7 gig. A DVD is 4.7. More importantly, the resulting files and folders do not look exactly like a retail disc.

I am working with the vendor from whom I purchased the licenses and downloaded the image. I have also tried to work with Microsoft.

Thanks to all, in advance.

sincerely,
Post #1497885
Posted Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:25 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:34 AM
The unzipped version should look like the screenshot below. We normally just copy the media over the network to whatever server we want to run the install on.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.

Post Attachments 
SQLMedia.png (16 views, 101.37 KB)
Post #1497899
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse