Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Best practice to setup a test server to restore backups from production automatically? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:18 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 28, 2014 8:09 AM
I suspect the problems trying to use the dir comman on a unc path. I can't test this as I'm not on a computer but I am sure that doesn't work with a unc path as its invalid at the command line.

Try running the command from a prompt to the unc path and see if it returns a list of files.

If it doesn't, you will need to create a temporary mapped drive using the NET USE command as part of your command shell command.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012
Post #1507728
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:30 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:36 AM
joshd 1807 (10/23/2013)
100% full access. I can access it from the server with the Windows Authentication account I am using

I didn't ask about the account you're using. I asked if the SQL Server service account (the account that SQL Server is running under) has access. The account you're using is mostly irrelevant.

It's perfectly possible to restore from a UNC path, SQL just has to have permissions to access that path.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1507735
Posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:33 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:36 AM
joshd 1807 (10/23/2013)
The databases are fully functional and aren't restoring any logs, so the error message is confusing.

That message is from the RESTORE DATABASE ... WITH RECOVERY line. Since the restore that would have left the DB RESTORING failed, the attempt to bring it online would fail because the DB's in the wrong state.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1507736
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse