Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

What does certification achieve? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:48 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:11 PM
Some years ago I took a sample of the standard MCDBA (or whatever it was called) test. I quit in disgust when it asked "How many tables can a SQL Server database contain?"

Post #1495728
Posted Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:04 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 4:45 AM
bcb (9/17/2013)
Some years ago I took a sample of the standard MCDBA (or whatever it was called) test. I quit in disgust when it asked "How many tables can a SQL Server database contain?"

That's a nice example of utterly pointless knowledge that, if one needed it, could easily be looked up; and certanly isn't going to be needed often enough to be worth learning to avoid the necessesity of that look up. In other words, something which is absolutely suitable for a "brain dump" and also absolutely useless as a test of how competent someone will be.

So it's a perfect exampleof how utterly meaningless certifications at that level are.

Tom
Post #1496168
Posted Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:22 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:48 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (9/18/2013)
bcb (9/17/2013)

That's a nice example of utterly pointless knowledge that, if one needed it, could easily be looked up; and certanly isn't going to be needed often enough to be worth learning to avoid the necessesity of that look up. In other words, something which is absolutely suitable for a "brain dump" and also absolutely useless as a test of how competent someone will be.

So it's a perfect exampleof how utterly meaningless certifications at that level are.

+1 True dat!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1496169
Posted Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:29 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:14 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (9/18/2013)

That type of question is unfortunately common in the sample tests, from MS and others, never seen anything like that in the actual exams, SQL 2000 or anything later. Sample exams!=real exams. They should be, but they're not. I've looked at practice exams from MS after having written the real exams they're supposed to help prepare one for, and they're often worse than useless with too many memorisation questions, which don't appear in the real exams.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1496182
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse