Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

dynamic sql query?/ Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 12:17 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:51 PM
where we use dynamic sql queries??
in my office we don't use dynamic sql queries but I am want to know in which case it finds application??
if possible give an example
Thanks
Post #1490522
Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 6:32 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:44 AM
gurjer48 (9/2/2013)
where we use dynamic sql queries??
in my office we don't use dynamic sql queries but I am want to know in which case it finds application??
if possible give an example
Thanks

http://www.sommarskog.se/dynamic_sql.html
Post #1490604
Posted Monday, September 2, 2013 7:02 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:43 AM
As little as possible, only where absolutely necessary and after having paid careful attention to the risks of SQL Injection.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1490614
Posted Friday, September 6, 2013 2:52 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 6:17 AM
Erland's article, "The Curse and Blessings of Dynamic SQL" (the link that OTF inlcuded) is the best I have ever read about DSQL.

Itzek Ben Gan's Microsoft® SQL Server 2012 T-SQL Fundamentals* includes a good summary of when Dynamic SQL can be helpful:

Dynamic SQL is useful for several purposes, including:

■ Automating administrative tasks For example, querying metadata and constructing and executing a BACKUP DATABASE statement for each database in an on-premises instance

■ Improving performance of certain tasks For example, constructing parameterized ad-hoc queries that can reuse previously cached execution plans...

■ Constructing elements of the code based on querying the actual data For example, constructing a PIVOT query dynamically when you don’t know ahead of time which elements should appear in the IN clause of the PIVOT operator

* I know we are in the 2008 forum but all of the above is relevant to 2008 as well.

-- Alan Burstein

Read this article for best practices on asking questions.
Need to split a string? Try this (Jeff Moden)
Need a pattern-based string spitter? Try this (Dwain Camps)

"I can't stress enough the importance of switching from a 'sequential files' mindset to 'set-based' thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. " -- Itzek Ben-Gan 2001

My blog
Post #1492429
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse