Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Third Evolution Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 8:28 AM
Investors have little time for appointing mavericks and even if a former owner and developer of a company comes back he often faces incredible resistance from present investors. Michael Dell and Steve Jobs both experienced that. These guys think long term typically way beyond what investors are looking at.

So the irony is that many investors shoot themselves in the foot by refusing to allow the very people to be put in charge that would increase the long term value of the company.

The thing about passionate mavericks - they invent the future and the market follows them (they need not be geniuses they just need to implement an idea competently with passion and before everyone else - it’s a lot different from being a genius.
Post #1488638
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:27 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
Dalkeith (8/27/2013)
Investors have little time for appointing mavericks and even if a former owner and developer of a company comes back he often faces incredible resistance from present investors. Michael Dell and Steve Jobs both experienced that. These guys think long term typically way beyond what investors are looking at.

So the irony is that many investors shoot themselves in the foot by refusing to allow the very people to be put in charge that would increase the long term value of the company.

The thing about passionate mavericks - they invent the future and the market follows them (they need not be geniuses they just need to implement an idea competently with passion and before everyone else - it’s a lot different from being a genius.

Good points. However mavericks fail as often (or more often) than they succeed. It's hard to predict the future. I think Microsoft finally started to make some bets with Win 8/ Win Phone 8 that could change the world, but it was so slow to do so.

Now sure what will happen. Looking at share price day to day, quarter to quarter is a mistake. Investors haven't gotten value from MS in a decade. One would hope they'd take a chance now.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1488756
Posted Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:57 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:42 AM
I saw a program about Bill Gates and comments made by (I think) an IBM exec was that he was a better engineer than the engineers in the room, he was pretty close on the legal technicalities and there was a suspicion that he was the best business man in the room.

What M$ needs is someone with a fundamental understanding of IT and the business brains to harness and steer the M$ behemoth. As written earlier, those sorts don't grow on trees.

Perhaps what M$ needs most of all is a CEO who is a good team builder. There are lots of talented people in M$. One of the most talented CEOs I ever worked for never seemed to do much but somehow managed to hire extremely strong direct reports and stop them stabbing each other in the back.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1488882
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse