Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

ip address of sql server Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, December 14, 2013 12:35 AM
hello every one.. this is my first post here. i have a vb application that i want to connect to sql server hosted on a different pc. I need to connect with ip address. What ip address should i give to that sql server ? will it be fine if I give the same address of that pc which is in domain ?
Post #1485598
Posted Sunday, August 18, 2013 11:47 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 6:42 AM
Unless you have installed SQL on a cluster, you can't assign an IP-address to the SQL instance. The SQL instance will use the IP-address of the host server / pc.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Post #1485651
Posted Monday, August 19, 2013 1:07 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:24 AM
You should be able to connect with the ip address of the server\pc where the sql server is installed. Just use it in the connection string. A couple of possible issues. You might need to enclose it in square brackets []. also, is it the default instance, or is it a named instance of sql server. if it is a named instance, you will need to include that, like servername\instancename. also, if the default port number is not used, you may need to include that. do a google search for connection strings, and you will find plenty of examples.

Leonard
Post #1485965
Posted Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:33 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, November 24, 2014 4:58 PM
You can use ping [SQL Server Name] to get the ip.
Post #1486824
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse