Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Log LDF file Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:33 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:13 AM
homebrew01 (8/14/2013)
Is 3 hour data loss acceptable for the business ? I prefer log backups every 15 or 20 minutes.

I run a server side trace 24/7 on my production server so that I can go back in time to troubleshoot problems or see what was running at a particular time. There are 3rd party tools such as Idera's Compliance Manager that can be set up to audit SQL activity.

I am not asked for Server side trace.. just asked me to take backup. but will it help.. will that provide me data about who did what & what ahppened

Every Dog has a Tail !!!!!
Post #1484329
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:35 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:07 PM
OnlyOneRJ (8/14/2013)
will that provide me data about who did what & what ahppened

No.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1484333
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:45 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

GilaMonster (8/14/2013)
OnlyOneRJ (8/14/2013)
will that provide me data about who did what & what ahppened

No.

Gail, Please suggest a easy plan to do where in trace n audit is not involved... only Log backup's or anything else... please

Post #1484340
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:50 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Can't, not with your set of restrictions. You're insisting that the easiest solution not be used and that a feature that has nothing to do with audits be used instead.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #1484343
Posted Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:49 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:24 PM
OnlyOneRJ (8/14/2013)
homebrew01 (8/14/2013)
Is 3 hour data loss acceptable for the business ? I prefer log backups every 15 or 20 minutes.

I run a server side trace 24/7 on my production server so that I can go back in time to troubleshoot problems or see what was running at a particular time. There are 3rd party tools such as Idera's Compliance Manager that can be set up to audit SQL activity.

I am not asked for Server side trace.. just asked me to take backup. but will it help.. will that provide me data about who did what & what ahppened

A trace or monitoring tool may help you troubleshoot the NEXT problem, but not the current one. Taking regular transaction log backups may help you recover lost data NEXT time.

Post #1484426
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 12:13 AM
SSC Veteran

Thanks homeBrew..

Gail - Will APEX SQL ttol help me to read Log files which are backed up every 3 hours..

Post #1484993
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 12:55 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 5:37 AM
OnlyOneRJ (8/16/2013)
Will APEX SQL ttol help me to read Log files which are backed up every 3 hours..

I don't have any experience with their tool, I just googled a bit and came on their website.

According to the information on the website, it (ApexSQL LOG) can read the LOG-file and get audit information out of it. They also have a specific SQL Audit tool (ApexSQL Audit). Why don't you just contact them and ask for more information, a demonstration and/or use the trial version. They can tell you much more about the product(s) then we can on this forum.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Post #1485001
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 12:58 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 5:37 AM
But remember: the LOG backups are primarily for recovering lost data. It is not intended to do auditing. There are other features and tools to do auditing.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Post #1485003
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 2:33 AM

SSC-Forever

OnlyOneRJ (8/16/2013)
Gail - Will APEX SQL ttol help me to read Log files which are backed up every 3 hours..

Probably, but it's a damn expensive app. Was over $1000 per licence last time I checked

Why are you insisting on using the wrong tool for the job here? Log backups are NOT for auditing purposes. If it's some managerial decree, please go and explain to said manager that while possible what he's asking is going to be expensive, painful and complex at best and that there are way better solutions for auditing.

Gail Shaw

Post #1485029
Posted Friday, August 16, 2013 4:33 AM
SSC Veteran

Gail, now they have come up with new need..
They dont want to know who has deleted the records.. they just want to recover the data which gets deleted if incase..

Like if data gets deleted after 2 hours then using log backup they want that data to be recovered ... will it be possible???

Post #1485086
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse