Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Changing SQLServerCentral - Newsletter Layout Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:50 AM
Luis Cazares (8/6/2013)
The forums part is mainly useless for the purpose that is presented (Database Pros Who Need Your Help!) because most topics are already solved.
There could be some kind of outstanding topics to reduce the space used by the forums posts in the newsletter.

Hmm, I like the idea of limiting this to recently posted but outstanding topics (but without a way to say a question has been answered, how do you determine this?)

To go along with this, how about a second section of recently solved questions? Limit it to a few per forum topic - maybe the most active for the prior day?

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1481606
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:55 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:27 PM
WayneS (8/6/2013)

To go along with this, how about a second section of recently solved questions? Limit it to a few per forum topic - maybe the most active for the prior day?

That's interesting. Maybe I'll see if we can play with this.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1481609
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:03 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 10:16 PM
This is 2013. Surely there is a way to reformat text to suit the width of the device displaying the text? Why settle for a particular fixed width format, which will only ever suit a minority?
Post #1481622
Posted Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:09 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:27 PM
cmerrell (8/6/2013)
This is 2013. Surely there is a way to reformat text to suit the width of the device displaying the text? Why settle for a particular fixed width format, which will only ever suit a minority?

Yes and no. We can allow test to flow, but then layout looks funny at times. If we control it more, we can't easily make it work in Outlook and in other clients. Outlook is really the problem, but since so many people use it, it's a problem.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1481634
Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:36 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 2:55 AM
Hey Steve,

multiple newsletter formats to choose from could be great - and if you give the option not only to choose the format but also which block of content should be included /* with the only mandatory block of ads - you have to live on something */ it would be awesome!

But have you thought about a poll where you give the community a list of possible options and so you will get know us better...
because at the moment I would think, most of feedback you receive is asks for change or a globally thank you. The content seldom write letters ^^

//Sarus

Post #1481681
Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:17 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:11 AM
I never read the newsletter on anything other than desktop so for me the fixed width is a pain.
If it could have just been the old style but with less of the clutter; as others have said things like links and headlines etc.., QotD etc...
Post #1481694
Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:20 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 9:16 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/6/2013)
Yes and no. We can allow test to flow, but then layout looks funny at times. If we control it more, we can't easily make it work in Outlook and in other clients. Outlook is really the problem, but since so many people use it, it's a problem.

You could always revert back to good ol' HTML and forget all that modern CSS stuff--that should work across all platforms then.
Post #1481709
Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:29 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:03 AM
I love the editorials, whatever they're about. Always read 'em. Almost every day I click on a link. I even like the pictures.
I doubt if you'll ever cater for everyone with one design. Shades of Metro. Outlook users are always going to be a problem because the newsletter is rendered as a Word document so you're never going to get a responsive design to work in Outlook.
What about catering for those of us who like to spread it all out across the screen to have a web-based version of the newsletter that is fully-responsive to the size of the browser window that we can access by clicking on the link in the the current truncated version that's optimized for small screens?.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #1481716
Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:47 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 10:46 AM
WayneS (8/6/2013)

It would be nice to have some feature on the forum that allows a topic to be "answered". It doesn't need to be tied to the points system, like in Stack Overflow or MSDN, but it would help to construct a very interesting newsletter.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1481734
Posted Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:48 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:11 AM
WayneS (8/6/2013)

I really like the looks of the database administrators newsletter that Stackexchange sends out that contains information
about forum threads. The choice of topics that they made makes it interesting.
They have:

Top new questions this week.
Greatest hits from previous weeks.
Can you answer these? (unanswered).

For SQL Server Central I would not have every forum represented in the newsletter, a concept like above is more appealing.
Post #1481735
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse