Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Find potential locks caused by joined queries Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:58 AM
Would you suggest adding the Update Statistics Task to my maintenance plan that backs up the full database every night?
Post #1480159
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:07 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:21 PM
Donnie Carvajal (8/1/2013)
Would you suggest adding the Update Statistics Task to my maintenance plan that backs up the full database every night?

That may be a waste of effort to do nightly. Especially since you are on a non-production instance. Generally speaking you need to find what kind of frequency works for your system. If you do lots and lots of insert/deletes daily may not be frequent enough. If on the other hand your data is fairly static updating stats daily may be more frequent than needed. There is no magic right answer here.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1480161
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:41 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:58 AM
I checked the execution plan on the production server as well and I am seeing close to the same values for this query.

The full database statistics updates have finished and I am still seeing estimated rows at 206975. Any other suggestions? See attached for latest plan.

Donnie

Post Attachments 
rpt4.zip (1 view, 7.31 KB)
Post #1480179
Posted Thursday, August 1, 2013 3:49 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:21 PM
Donnie Carvajal (8/1/2013)
I checked the execution plan on the production server as well and I am seeing close to the same values for this query.

The full database statistics updates have finished and I am still seeing estimated rows at 206975. Any other suggestions? See attached for latest plan.

Donnie

"Un-nest" your views. Nested views are generally horrible for performance. I suspect this is what you are running into. Try putting together the same query by un-nesting your views and see what the plan looks like at that point.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1480182
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse