Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Connect to sever by name rather than IP address Expand / Collapse
Author
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 11:32 AM
If you can ping the server by name, then DNS is resolving the name, but SQL Server might be configured to allow connections only on a specific port. If so, you'll need to include it when connecting via SSMS. If you don't have this, the DBA should be able to provide you with the information.

I totally agree with this except for the fact that the OP said he was able to connect via IP fine and did not mention anything about specifying port numbers when he connected with IP. If he was able to connect by IP and not specify a port then name should be fine as well, unless the name cannot be resolved or the server name changed and he did not update SQL appropriately.

Joie Andrew
"Since 1982"
Post #1479425
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:07 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 2:05 PM
Joie Andrew (7/31/2013)
If you can ping the server by name, then DNS is resolving the name, but SQL Server might be configured to allow connections only on a specific port. If so, you'll need to include it when connecting via SSMS. If you don't have this, the DBA should be able to provide you with the information.

I totally agree with this except for the fact that the OP said he was able to connect via IP fine and did not mention anything about specifying port numbers when he connected with IP. If he was able to connect by IP and not specify a port then name should be fine as well, unless the name cannot be resolved or the server name changed and he did not update SQL appropriately.

Oops...good catch. Thanks.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1479427
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:43 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:45 AM
So you can successfully ping by server name, or you can't? If you can ping by server name now try connecting by name again in ssms.

I can ping by name. I cannot still connect via ssms using the fqdn (like i used in the ping command)
Post #1479445
Posted Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:49 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 11:32 AM
Is the IP address that reponds to the ping the same IP that you use to successfully connect?

Curious, if you connect to one of these instances by IP name what do you get when you run the following query:

SELECT @@servername

One last thing: on an instance that you can connect to by IP what ports/protocols/names does the SQL Error log say it is listening on?

Joie Andrew
"Since 1982"
Post #1479448
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse