Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

New Guy Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums and to SQL, so I am saying hello! I'm looking to develop my abilities with SQL due to personal interest and due to my interest in pursuing a new career path. I've gone through some guides and examples on SQLzoo.net and a few other sites. My next step will be reading some books (70-461, Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 by Itzik Ben-Gan and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 T-SQL Fundamentals by Itzik Ben-Gan), installing SQL Server 2012 (trial), working through some examples, and most importantly meeting you guys, the experts. Any advice is appreciated. Cheers!

-Bob
Post #1478802
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 9:48 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:40 AM
Welcome, Bob, and good luck.

I think you have a great plan. I'd work through a book (or articles), practicing as you go and see what you learn. Ask questions here as you need to, but show us what you've done and what you don't understand.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1478808
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 10:12 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:26 PM
Welcome and good luck

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1478813
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:43 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 9:28 AM
Welcome. Any book by Itzik Ben-Gan will surely help you to understand T-SQL.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1478837
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:19 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:51 PM
Welcome!

Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times and enjoy the ride.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1479032
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:33 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 8:50 AM
Be patient and give yourself enough time. SQL Server is pretty complex, and not always well documented. And keeps changing and getting more complex.

Welcome to the guild.
Post #1479039
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:49 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:51 AM
I would suggest purchasing the DEVELOPER EDITION, whose use does not run out with time. Cost is around $50 US dollars. It will allow you to save what you have learned.

Check AMAZON.COM For the latest prices and availablity

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1479085
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:02 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 1:01 PM
bitbucket-25253 (7/30/2013)
I would suggest purchasing the DEVELOPER EDITION, whose use does not run out with time. Cost is around $50 US dollars. It will allow you to save what you have learned.

Check AMAZON.COM For the latest prices and availablity

Unless you already have access to a working SQL Server instance, this is a must!

Alvin Ramard
Memphis PASS Chapter

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.
Post #1479089
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:17 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:27 PM
First, thank you for the warm welcome.

Second, I have a few many questions for you gurus.... if you don't mind pointing me in the correct direction!

...It will allow you to save what you have learned....

(1) I may be wrong here, but are you saying when i reach the 180 day limit (± x days), I will be unable to easily access work that I will have saved up to that point and that I will be unable to upgrade to developer edition at that point?

(2) If I purchase the develop edition asap what short-term benefits will be gained, and what long-term benefits will be gained?

(3) If I purchase the developer edition, will I have the majority of software needs covered if I want to pursue my MCSA SQL Server 2012 and, eventually, the MCSE SQL Server 2012?

Post #1479095
Posted Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:59 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:51 AM
BigChicagoBob (7/30/2013)
First, thank you for the warm welcome.

Second, I have a few many questions for you gurus.... if you don't mind pointing me in the correct direction!

...It will allow you to save what you have learned....

(1) I may be wrong here, but are you saying when i reach the 180 day limit (± x days), I will be unable to easily access work that I will have saved up to that point and that I will be unable to upgrade to developer edition at that point?

(2) If I purchase the develop edition asap what short-term benefits will be gained, and what long-term benefits will be gained?

(3) If I purchase the developer edition, will I have the majority of software needs covered if I want to pursue my MCSA SQL Server 2012 and, eventually, the MCSE SQL Server 2012?

(1) Yes unable to access
(2) a. Will not expire.
(2) b. Short term as well as long term - developer edition is equivalent to Enterprise Edition in every way.
(3) Yes not only majority but I would say "All"

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1479109
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse