Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

orphaned users in sql server Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:50 PM
hi this is reddi Krishna i created a new login at server level and mapped to user level permissions after i have executed the below command

select *from sys.sysusers and select *from sysusers

by executing both these commands i got the same sid no. after i deleted the login which i had created server level login. after i execute the following command

sp_change_users_login 'report'

by executing this command i got below created user name and sid.

nikil 0x191792319FBF2A4788077A5F20567D7D

so,from this what can i do for getting identification of orphaned users
please reply as early as possible
Post #1476920
Posted Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:02 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:31 PM
Start by reading about the "sp_change_users_login" at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174378.aspx

The option 'report' has resulted in a list of users within the current database that do not have a link to a login. By using the 'auto_fix' or the 'update_one' option, you can (re-)establish this link.
exec sp_change_users_login 'auto_fix', 'nikil'

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Post #1476931
Posted Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:04 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 2:10 AM
Alternatively, you could transfer the logins and passwords from the original server to the target server. This can have the advantage of not having to deal with orphaned users after a database has been restored to a different server. It involves creating a couple of stored procedures in the original server's master database - see article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992 for details.
Post #1477433
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 1:21 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Saturday, October 11, 2014 12:31 AM
After executing the below 1st command, we got the list of orphan logins, it listed out and i selected one of the users to auto_fix. But unfortunately it throws below error. Hope we also need to give the password to fix this. If any one has complete knowledge could you share?
sp_change_users_login 'report'

sp_change_users_login 'auto_fix', 'kumar'

Msg 15600, Level 15, State 1, Procedure sp_change_users_login, Line 214
An invalid parameter or option was specified for procedure 'sys.sp_change_users_login'.

Thanks,
I’m nobody but still I’m somebody to someone………….
Post #1477888
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 6:34 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:16 PM
The most likely reason is no login named "Kumar" exists, so the [sp_change_users_login] proc can't successfully un-orphan the user.

See if you have a login named 'kumar'. If not, create one and try the auto_fix again.
Post #1477965
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse