Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Query taking non-consistent time to execute Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 10:15 PM
ChrisM@Work (7/26/2013)
IT researcher (7/26/2013)
ChrisM@Work (7/23/2013)
-- why cast [Phone no] AS VARCHAR(MAX)?
-- why use CHARINDEX? You don't need the character position, you only need to know if
-- one string exists inside the other.
SELECT [customer].[Customer name],[customer].[Sl_No],[customer].[Id]
FROM [company].dbo.[customer]
WHERE ( Charindex('9000413237',CAST([company].dbo.[customer].[Phone no] AS VARCHAR(MAX)))>0 )

-- use this instead
SELECT c.[Customer name],c.[Sl_No],c.[Id]
FROM [company].dbo.[customer] c
WHERE c.[Phone no] LIKE '%9000413237%'

-- then try this, which is SARGable (can use a suitable index)
WHERE c.[Phone no] LIKE '9000413237%'

You have mentioned that using LIKE '9000413237%' is SARGable .There are many articles stating 'abc%' will use index but '%abc%' not.But using LIKE '%9000413237%' also helped me a lot.
Please see my thread regarding this here

It's quicker (in this case) to scan the phone_no index than to scan the whole table, because the index only contains one (key) column. That's less data to scan through. The point about SARGability is not that an index will be used, but that the index will be used for seeks or range scans. If you look at the second plan on your ScatExchange post you see an index scan for LIKE '%...%'. Look at what happens if you take out the leading % sign.

Yes if i use 'abc%' then it will be index seek as it requires searching for only part of index which make performance a lot better.But still using %abc% helped in my case.I was thinking like leading % will make index to not use.So many articles in internet make confusion regarding it.Also i found this wikipedia link about Sargable.(which states %abc% non-sargable).Thank you..
Post #1478033
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 8:29 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

ChrisM@Work (7/26/2013)
ChrisM@Work (7/23/2013)
-- why use CHARINDEX? You don't need the character position, you only need to know if
WHERE ( Charindex('9000413237',CAST([company].dbo.[customer].[Phone no] AS VARCHAR(MAX)))>0 )

-- use this instead

You have mentioned that using LIKE '9000413237%' is SARGable .There are many articles stating 'abc%' will use index but '%abc%' not.But using LIKE '%9000413237%' also helped me a lot.

It's quicker (in this case) to scan the phone_no index than to scan the whole table, because the index only contains one (key) column. That's less data to scan through. The point about SARGability is not that an index will be used, but that the index will be used for seeks or range scans. If you look at the second plan on your ScatExchange post you see an index scan for LIKE '%...%'. Look at what happens if you take out the leading % sign.

Yes if i use 'abc%' then it will be index seek as it requires searching for only part of index which make performance a lot better.But still using %abc% helped in my case.I was thinking like leading % will make index to not use.So many articles in internet make confusion regarding it.Also i found this wikipedia link about Sargable.(which states %abc% non-sargable).Thank you..
Post #1478036
Posted Friday, July 26, 2013 8:37 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:04 AM
SQL environment should be kept same for each execution.First time you run the query ,query plan is cached .Next time it will use that query plan.
Time also depends upon statistics of the table.
Post #1478045
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:41 AM
SSC Veteran

ChrisM@Work (7/26/2013)
ChrisM@Work (7/23/2013)

-- use this instead

You have mentioned that
" The point about SARGability is not that an index will be used, but that the index will be used for seeks or range scans"

In wikipedia i can see that leading % in like is non-sargable. But where it is mentioned that SARGability is only seek or range scan?
Post #1478271
Posted Saturday, July 27, 2013 2:02 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:40 PM
Coming late to the party, but...

The charindex expression is bound to scane the entire table.

LIKE '9000413237%' will seek the index in a normal way.

LIKE '%9000413237%' will also result in an Index Seek operator, but if you look closer there is a RangeScan function in the search predicate. And of course, while a Seek in the name, the only way to find the arbitrary string is to scan the entire index. But assuming that this only hits a few rows, this is more efficient than scanning the clustered index, since there are fewer pages to scan. SQL Server maintains string statistics, so it has a hinch about the hit rate you will get in the index.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
Post #1478272
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse