Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL doesn't see .bak file? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:41 AM
Sorry, this is probably a really dumb question, but when I go to do a restore in SSMS, when I get to the step where it asks to locate backup file, my .bak file is not seen in the tree view. I can see the file in explorer, and it has a .bak extension, so I'm not sure why SQL doesn't see it. I am trying to restore a full backup from another server if that makes a difference.
Post #1476154
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 11:39 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:07 PM
Your issue is probably file permissions. Try running a script to restore the database and see if it errors out, look for "Access Denied" or "Can't find the file path specified".

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Forum posting etiquette. Get your answers faster.
Post #1476168
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 12:10 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thanks for your response. I'll give it a try and let you know.
Post #1476184
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 12:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).
Post #1476206
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 12:48 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

1: make sure the path really does exist via windows explorer
2: make sure the service account has proper permissions to the folder/file
3: make sure YOU have proper permissions to run the restore command

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Post #1476216
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 1:17 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:27 PM
Are you checking that the .bak file exists on the server and not on your desktop?

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1476228
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Yes, I copied it over to the server I want to restore to. I can see it in Windows Explorer, but SQL is unable to see it. It just doesn't show up in the list. Scripting the restore doesn't work either.
Post #1476629
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:01 AM
Ten Centuries

and the service account has permissions to the file and folder?

Post #1476632
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:38 AM
Forum Newbie

SQL is running as local system. I gave system full permissions to the new folder I copied the backup into. The weird thing is, when I browse for the .bak file, SQL doesn't even see the new folder I put on the C: drive, even though I can see it in Windows explorer.
Post #1476671
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:40 AM
Ten Centuries

Try putting the .bak in the data directory with all your other MDFs if possible.

Post #1476675
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse