Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL doesn't see .bak file? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:41 AM
Sorry, this is probably a really dumb question, but when I go to do a restore in SSMS, when I get to the step where it asks to locate backup file, my .bak file is not seen in the tree view. I can see the file in explorer, and it has a .bak extension, so I'm not sure why SQL doesn't see it. I am trying to restore a full backup from another server if that makes a difference.
Post #1476154
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 11:39 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 12:31 PM
Your issue is probably file permissions. Try running a script to restore the database and see if it errors out, look for "Access Denied" or "Can't find the file path specified".

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Forum posting etiquette. Get your answers faster.
Post #1476168
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 12:10 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thanks for your response. I'll give it a try and let you know.
Post #1476184
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 12:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).
Post #1476206
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 12:48 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

1: make sure the path really does exist via windows explorer
2: make sure the service account has proper permissions to the folder/file
3: make sure YOU have proper permissions to run the restore command

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Post #1476216
Posted Monday, July 22, 2013 1:17 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 12:17 PM
Are you checking that the .bak file exists on the server and not on your desktop?

Luis C.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it. Stephen Leacock

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1476228
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Yes, I copied it over to the server I want to restore to. I can see it in Windows Explorer, but SQL is unable to see it. It just doesn't show up in the list. Scripting the restore doesn't work either.
Post #1476629
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:01 AM
Ten Centuries

and the service account has permissions to the file and folder?

Post #1476632
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:38 AM
Forum Newbie

SQL is running as local system. I gave system full permissions to the new folder I copied the backup into. The weird thing is, when I browse for the .bak file, SQL doesn't even see the new folder I put on the C: drive, even though I can see it in Windows explorer.
Post #1476671
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:40 AM
Ten Centuries

Try putting the .bak in the data directory with all your other MDFs if possible.

Post #1476675
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse