Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Do not fail package if the Data Flow Task fails Expand / Collapse
Author

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:20 PM
hi there,
I have a specific requirement, but do not know how to implement.

"Extract Data from DB server A into DB Server B, however if DB Server A is not availale or metadata has changed due to design change on DB A, then do not fail the package"

I have set the delay validation property of the DB Connection A to true so that the package doesn't fail during validation, however when the data flow task will execute , the Sequence container and the package , as a whole, will show failure.

I hope I'm able to explain the problem.
Post #1474950
Posted Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:55 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 6:51 AM
You can put the ForceExecutionResult property of the data flow to success, so the data flow never fails. However, if another error occurs in the data flow not related to the those you described, you won't notice this (unless you check the logging).

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1474956
Posted Friday, July 19, 2013 7:01 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:29 PM
You could use a Script Task to check for a valid connection before your Data Flow and then take different actions depending on the result. For example a Success branch executing your data flow and a Failure branch redirecting to some kind of logging.

Here's an example:

SSIS Nugget: Verify a data source before using it

It doesn't address the problem of altered metadata, though. I'd be thinking of some kind of error handler attached to the DFT object.

Post #1475449
Posted Monday, August 5, 2013 7:46 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:41 AM
If you're still looking for an answer on this, I published a blog post on this topic earlier today:

http://www.timmitchell.net/post/2013/08/05/continue-package-execution-after-error-in-ssis/

Tim Mitchell, SQL Server MVP
Independent Business Intelligence Consultant
www.TimMitchell.net
@Tim_Mitchell

Post #1480916
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse