Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

A New Look Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:40 AM
IMHO The immediate visual effect is clean and fresh. Putting the above mentioned improvements in would make a good thing better though.

The exercise, I suppose, is to maximize the total happiness of the site experience... It is important to try and please everyone but it isn't just about that. Visual impairments (e.g.) can be a real barrier.

What about being able to choose from a set of "skins"?

MarkD
Post #1469360
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:04 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:05 AM
Toreador (7/2/2013)
On my screen, approximately 2/3 of the width is white. Why all the wasted space? I don't do my development on a mobile device, and don't read this website on one either. What's wrong with letting the content size according to the space available?

+1

Adjust the width to the available screensize. With a fixed size you will never please everybody.
An automatic sized width can easily be read on computer screen (independent of mail readview pane), laptop, readers and mobile phones.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Post #1469370
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:16 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Today @ 4:04 AM
+1
Lots of white space and scrolling.

Toreador (7/2/2013)
On my screen, approximately 2/3 of the width is white. Why all the wasted space? I don't do my development on a mobile device, and don't read this website on one either. What's wrong with letting the content size according to the space available?
Post #1469374
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 4:36 AM
My suggestion, with the forum threads, have SQL 2008 above SQL 2005.

Post #1469382
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:43 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, September 4, 2014 7:06 AM
Toreador (7/2/2013)

+1

I have a widscreen (1440x900), and the content is just a thin column in the middle.
Lots of scrolling, not a nice experience.
Post #1469386
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:52 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:48 AM
I do like having the editorial at the top, since I read that before following any of the article links. However, I agree with lots of other commenters about the fixed width. It feels like we've gone back in that respect, not forward.

Regards,
Connie

Post #1469389
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:02 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 9:04 AM
I like the overall design and the editorial at the top.
However, the content is sailing down the middle of a sea of white space.

The ratio of 1/3 content to 2/3 white space makes it so you have to continually scroll.
Post #1469393
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:15 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:59 AM
It looks to be formatted to be read on a mobile phone. Like many above this post, I read this on a wide monitor and most of the space is blank. I think I also prefer the featured contents above the editorial, although the width change is more important to me.
Post #1469398
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:17 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 3:10 AM
The new look is great with only problem is width in bigger monitor. But the design was good.
Post #1469400
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:22 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:46 AM
Nice one. But please increase the width.

Post #1469405
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse