Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

The Intrusion of Life Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:43 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Intrusion of Life

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1469276
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:26 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:48 AM
Good to play with intrusions, but if everyone may have these skills developed.

Meanwhile, having a good boss is a very good luck
Post #1469379
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 6:03 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:11 PM
If I have to make a decision between family and work, family wins every time. I can usually make up the work interruptions but the employer has to be flexible.

Tom
Post #1469427
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 6:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:33 AM
Very well stated, Steve. Thank you for sharing that and confirming to others (and me) that work is not #1 on the totem pole. Allow me to share my priority list ... #1. Cultivate my relationship with the Lord, #2. Cultivate my relationship with my wife, #3. Cultivate my relationship with my children, #4. Cultivate relationships with extended family and friends ... notice that all of my priority items are directly related to relationships. Work is merely a vehicle that provides both financial means and opportunity to provide for my family and help others who are not as blessed as I.
Post #1469459
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:15 AM
"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon.

Work is work, but in a lot of ways, it's not like real life.
Post #1469518
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:32 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, December 30, 2013 2:11 PM
One of the things I like about my job is that I can go to my boss and say "Family emergency.." tell him what it is and I can leave that moment. The job has pushed me beyond my patience on many items, but when I had to leave at a moments notice two times on my job and leave for two weeks at a time and they allowed me to do that. There was no hemming or hawing, just "Go ahead." Of course my laptop went with me, I checked my emails and solved issues as they came up, and had my phone with me.

Christy

Post #1469562
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:58 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:52 PM
What you say says a ton about your company!

Compassion is hard if not darn near impossible to find at times. You are luck to have found it!

And honesty of this caliber is priceless.

Thanks!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1469720
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:26 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Today @ 3:14 AM
Very true but at its best work is progressing society. So working hard and providing for your family may not be completely contradictory.

But yes chose your battles progressing society is not any one person's responsibility
Post #1469875
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:17 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
"My boss was very supportive and understood I might cancel the trip if my family needed me"

If only the other 99% of the world worked this way.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1470112
Posted Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:21 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
cksid (7/2/2013)
One of the things I like about my job is that I can go to my boss and say "Family emergency.." tell him what it is and I can leave that moment. The job has pushed me beyond my patience on many items, but when I had to leave at a moments notice two times on my job and leave for two weeks at a time and they allowed me to do that. There was no hemming or hawing, just "Go ahead." Of course my laptop went with me, I checked my emails and solved issues as they came up, and had my phone with me.

Christy

I have known many in the past that have claimed this "family emergency" only to find them out on the golf course later that day. SO BUSTED! So, in some ways I can understand managment's skeptical attitude on this at times. It can and does get abused. Most of those people are long gone though, but we get their replacements in all the time!

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1470116
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse