Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQLServerCentral Runs sp_Blitz - Informational Items Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:00 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQLServerCentral Runs sp_Blitz - Informational Items

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1467966
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:27 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:02 AM
Thanks for showing this to folks and including your findings!

A couple of quick notes - the Cost Threshold thing isn't really seconds. The BOL topic says it's seconds for a specific hardware config, but that means a long-dead machine at Microsoft. It's the query cost like you see in an execution plan - it's a combination of CPU and IO loads.

About the MSDB backup history - the problem with this (and I need to phrase it better on the findings page) is that if you use monitoring software that checks to make sure all databases have been backed up in the last X days, then that MSDB query ends up being one of the biggest resource hogs on the system. If you go through the plan cache and sort by total logical reads descending, the msdb backup check usually shows up in the top 10-20. MSDB just isn't indexed well to support most monitoring queries.

Thanks again, sir!

Post #1468142
Posted Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:23 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Thanks, Brent. I've made an update to the article, but the setting is probably OK for us right now.

I've also queried the SQL Monitor folks on the backup history. We haven't seen a query here cause issues with monitoring or the monitored systems, but we're checking.

Post #1468250
Posted Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:24 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:57 AM
I am wondering why you are using the older 1204 for deadlock information instead of (usually more useful) 1222.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1470921
Posted Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

TheSQLGuru (7/6/2013)
I am wondering why you are using the older 1204 for deadlock information instead of (usually more useful) 1222.

No idea. I'll have to ask.

Post #1470930
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse