Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Better Technical Interviews Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:26 PM
The biggest issue I would have with this process (which is the same for online [and offsite] testing) is that it could be done by someone other than the interviewer.

15-20 hour projects? I could think up something useful easily. At that amount of money i.e. 2-3 days cost it is a lot cheaper than finding you have employed someone you have to get rid of.

This is definitely a last (or penultimate) hurdle option. I like it.

Everything is self-evident to an author

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1468519
Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 7:56 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:18 AM
Ed Wagner (6/27/2013)
I like the idea of having interviewers conduct interviews of some existing employees. We have to be able to separate a strong candidate who interviews poorly from a weak candidate who interviews well. I admit I find that to be difficult. I don't fall for sales pitches and usually see them for what they are, but I find that the interview process itself is too short to make a really well-informed decision.

I usually slip in a trick question that isn't possible and watch the reaction. If they're bluffing the interview, they're done. If they can admit they don't know, then that indicates honesty, which is important. The best example of this I've seen was posted (I believe by Sean Lange) who asks when the last time was that the candidate queried the transaction log to rollback a transaction that shouldn't have been performed. Granted, these will only take us so far.

Examples of work they're especially proud of AND something they're disappointed with are good topics too.

LOL! I do recall once, in the aftermath of a delete script gone wrong, querying the transaction log for a clue about what stop date/time to use in a point in restore.

It us useful to ask candidates open ended discussion type questions, something like:
"A user has just deleted an unknown number of records from a transactional table, and you need to restore that data from backup. How you go about doing that?".
Post #1468557
Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 10:09 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:13 PM
Eric M Russell (6/28/2013)

LOL! I do recall once, in the aftermath of a delete script gone wrong, querying the transaction log for a clue about what stop date/time to use in a point in restore.

It us useful to ask candidates open ended discussion type questions, something like:
"A user has just deleted an unknown number of records from a transactional table, and you need to restore that data from backup. How you go about doing that?".

I like these kinds of questions, whether I interview or am being interviewed, especially when based on issues at the company. It helps determine if the candidate will fit in, how they think, and if they followed the same paths are existing employees. That can be good or bad, but either way it's information that helps make a decision.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1469144
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:04 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:18 AM
Where I work, we don't hire entry level developers straight out of university, or at least not on the database side. Every interview I've participated in has been with candidates that have at least 5 years of experience, and most of them 10 or more, so the interview is more about going over their past positions and projects rather than asking them fizz-buzz type questions.
Post #1469642
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:25 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:28 AM
Eric M Russell (7/2/2013)
Where I work, we don't hire entry level developers straight out of university

So your company insists upon reaping where it did not sow? Luckily for you, the company that hired you for your first job did not think that way, and luckily for your company, there is a steady stream of other companies to train their employees to work there.
Post #1469683
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse