Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Licensing standalone SSRS (2008 R2 or 20012) Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 11:51 AM
Hi Guys

We currently run 2008 R2 and SSRS (not sharepoint) on a 4 core VM, so license is around $8K. We have more and more needs for data driven subscriptions, but can't justify upgrading to enterprise version on 4 core machine ($28k). I was thinking that spinning up a dedicated VM for SSRS with a single core and running enterprise version of SQL Server would get us what we need fro about $8K (SQL and WIn licenses) -- we have enough RAM

I've read that having SSRS on a dedicated box improves performance too.

So would this work if we offloaded all of our SSRS to a new single core VM? Can you buy just an Enterprise SSRS licenses or must you always buy it with SQL server?

I've scoured the web, but couldn't find an answer

BTW, we own SQL2012 licenses, can't use it yet because of 3rd part app compatibility, but I figured if we went this route we could use some of the new features of SSRS 2012 with 2008 R2 data sources

Thanks

Mark
Post #1466940
Posted Monday, June 24, 2013 7:29 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 9:59 AM
You have to buy SQL Server. SSRS is not sold as a separate product.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1466962
Posted Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:19 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 7:08 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143703(v=sql.90).aspx

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Post #1467066
Posted Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:18 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:18 AM
If your licences are under Software Assurance then you are bound by the SQL 2012 licensing rules even if you are running an older version of SQL Server.

You have to license at least 4 cores, even on a server that only has 1 core, so there are NO license cost savings from reducing the core count below 4.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 18 October 2014: now over 31,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1467617
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse