Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Will CE 3.5 hold a few million records? Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:53 AM
I have a client who needs a vb.net program written for a handheld device with Windows CE 5.0 to query a table that has 10 million records in it. Can it hold this many records? If not, should I divide the data up to multiple tables and search different ones? What do you suggest? What is the limit? 4gb per table or overall?

Thanks!

Warren
Post #1465751
Posted Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:03 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:40 PM
well, who in your company has a windows handheld device, vs having an android or iphone/ipad? in my shop of 30 developers, there are no windows based portable devices.

I would question whether you want to even bother developing it; something that is going to touch a four gig local file/database is going to be painfully slow , no matter the processing power.

I'd reconsider the project, and build a web interface that accesses the data in SQL server, in a single central location, instead;

a web based app would be accessible to many more platforms, and involve a single code base, instead of developing for Windows + CE, and then Android + SQLite, and then Iphone, blackberry, etc.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1465756
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse