Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

No R2 Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Clouds eventually move on, like a lot of fads tend to do.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1462735
Posted Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:18 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 10:40 AM
TravisDBA (6/12/2013)

Cloud services are to SQL Server what web services are (or were) to application development. It's an interesting option that fits a specific usage pattern, but I wouldn't bet the farm that most everyone will be doing it five years from now.
Post #1462747
Posted Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:09 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:35 AM
Eric M Russell (6/12/2013)
TravisDBA (6/12/2013)

Cloud services are to SQL Server what web services are (or were) to application development. It's an interesting option that fits a specific usage pattern, but I wouldn't bet the farm that most everyone will be doing it five years from now.

Are they? I see cloud database services (SQL Azure) or Beanstalk (AWS) more like web hosting. They are services that will catch on in many places because they're easy. Lots of people still host their own web servers, but many more don't.

The IaaS stuff is more like renting a box in a colo somewhere, without the hassles or procuring hardware or managing power, space, etc. That has caught on pretty well and the way AWS/Azure work, it's much more effective in some ways than doing your own. The reliability is lower for a particular box, but the restart/rebuild is way faster than it would be for many of us.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1462790
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse