Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Quickly Copy Data Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Quickly Copy Data

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1460560
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 3:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:47 PM
Thanks. If for no other reason than the extremely useful general technical advise on copying large files.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1460598
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:40 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:45 PM
I get frustrated with the "use this free tool" approach. I'd pay for a tool that offered reliably high lossless compression capability.

The other point I'd make is that people are so used to copying stuff around their local infrastructure that they get sloppy.
If you were talking about synchronising DBs then rather than copying large backup files I'd look at log shipping the changes.

At a file level perhaps we should have a facility that concentrates on keeping a catalogue of file timestamps and shifting that catalogue around. Concentrate on syncing the metadata not the data.

If someone wants a particular file then the catalogue is checked to see if an update has taken place in the past 'x' minutes. If so sync the file, if not then skip to serve the file.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1460628
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 5:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 9:28 AM
The one issue I have is on large databases when upgrading from one version of SQL Server to another on a different server. Log Shipping won't help there due to the different versions of SQL. The nice thing about SQL2008R2 Standard Edition is the compressed backup. I LOVE that feature and it is free with standard Edition. Taking databases from SQL2000 and 2005 to 2008R2 and seeing how much faster the backup runs and is 80% smaller is great.

Post #1460630
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:28 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 1:04 PM
Put the files on a USB drive and drop it in the mail or get in your car and drive them to the other location.
Post #1460686
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:32 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:59 AM
I have mailed the USB Drive to get log shipping started as well. Overnight shipping is about a 14 hour windows, and the local connections were substantially faster than the remote ones.

As for the complaint about free tools, a robust free tool like 7 zip is much more likely to have less friction then a commercial product. You are moving files between networks, so the more open the tool the less likely you will run into an unnecessary gotcha.
Post #1460689
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:34 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Robert.Sterbal (6/6/2013)
....so the more open the tool the less likely you will run into an unnecessary gotcha.

What was that? Flame on? Seriously: I believe it totally depends on the tool and its use.

Gaz

Post #1460691
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:43 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:59 AM
My experience with tools that have to last a long time, and I've been compressing files for 20+ years is that open source projects offer substantial benefits for use when you have to be interoperable. Your mileage may vary.
Post #1460696
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:44 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 9:00 AM
krowley (6/6/2013)
Put the files on a USB drive and drop it in the mail or get in your car and drive them to the other location.

I was about to suggest the same thing. Sometimes the network connection between two remote locations just can't beat transporting a single 2 TB "packet" of data at 65 MPH. That's called thinking outside the box.
Post #1460697
Posted Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:49 AM

SSCertifiable

Robert.Sterbal (6/6/2013)
My experience with tools that have to last a long time, and I've been compressing files for 20+ years is that open source projects offer substantial benefits for use when you have to be interoperable. Your mileage may vary.

I am certainly not disagreeing with your experience. It just seemed a little "black and white".

Gaz

Post #1460699
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse