Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Doubling up of Alpha numeric password Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:50 PM
I have a vb6 application and the database is housed on an SQL2000 server. My problem is that the vb6 function should increment the numeric form of the ID and then affix the prefix alphabeth aprt to it but strangely i'm getting duplicate ID fields. Once or twice i've had to manually change the ID to what it should be. Could it be because i am doing this?
Post #1460273
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 9:42 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:39 PM
glycere2000 (6/5/2013)
I have a vb6 application and the database is housed on an SQL2000 server. My problem is that the vb6 function should increment the numeric form of the ID and then affix the prefix alphabeth aprt to it but strangely i'm getting duplicate ID fields. Once or twice i've had to manually change the ID to what it should be. Could it be because i am doing this?

You'll need to provide some more details to get a decent answer;
offhand, from what you said it sounds like the vb6 function should increment the numeric form of the ID doesn't generate a unique value.

actual examples would help, but i'm thinking the issue is there.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1460298
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:03 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Can you say what other specifics you need? This particular function has been working well for years and only about couple of months i realized this has happened sporidically. That's why i was wondering if its my interaction with the database.
Post #1460364
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:08 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:39 PM
glycere2000 (6/5/2013)
Can you say what other specifics you need? This particular function has been working well for years and only about couple of months i realized this has happened sporadically. That's why i was wondering if its my interaction with the database.

there's a lot of combined talent with all the volunteers that look at this thread, so the more detail you can provide, the more we can help.

lets see the vb6 function; maybe after years it's hitting the 32767 VB6 Integer limit, and the code is rolling over and creating repeats;
that's just a guess, but one possible explanation.

remember all i can tell about the issue, is what you post here; you've got the insiders look at the issue, but also insider assumptions that we know what you see, but we really can't; you have to post it here for us to see it too.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1460366
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:15 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 2:50 PM
What came to my mind is that 2 users tried to insert a row at similar times and both got the same ID from the VB function.

Why don't you have any constraint in this column?

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1460371
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:58 PM
Forum Newbie

Only one user uses the application at any given time because only one entry clerk is assigned the task.
Post #1460388
Posted Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:59 PM
Forum Newbie

I will post the codes in a little bit. Thank you for replying
Post #1460389
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse