Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Spatial Database - Snapshot Opposite? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:59 AM
I know it's a long shot, but I figured I'd ask.

I know with regular Database Snapshot SQL Server uses spatial data in order to preserve the snapshot, while the original incurs changes. I'm wondering if anyone figured out a round-about way to do the opposite - create a read-only base database, then create one or more a spatial database off this base database where users make changes to their respective spatial database as they please, without affecting the base database.

As of now, the only way it seems to achieve the same result is to actually restore full copies of the database for each user.
Post #1459920
Posted Tuesday, June 04, 2013 3:05 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 11:52 AM
Spatial data? There's no relation between spatial data types (geometry and geography) and database snapshots.

No, there's no way to create the database equivalent of VM's differencing disks. Restore the users each a copy, let them do as they like with the copy, delete and recreate it as needed.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1459957
Posted Tuesday, June 04, 2013 3:17 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:59 AM
I got my Sp's mixed up. I was thinking of Sparse files.
Post #1459963
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse