Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Factivism Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:38 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Factivism

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1447365
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 7:05 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:18 AM
Bono probably isn't the best example of charity, considering his business practices of tax avoidance.
Post #1447493
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 7:49 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:42 PM
chrisn-585491 (4/29/2013)
Bono probably isn't the best example of charity, considering his business practices of tax avoidance.
Seriously? Taxes != charity, regardless of what miniscule percentage of them might go to public programs. If you haven't put in the legwork and raised the money that he has, then you have zero room to criticise.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1447530
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 7:56 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:14 PM
I've worked with a few non-profits and the smallers ones always have volunteer technical assistance for building and running websites. Data management is almost always the most manual and work intensive. The opportunities are definitely out there.

Thought I'd put it out there before the train got too far off the tracks. :)

Post #1447541
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 8:29 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:42 PM
Larry Aue (4/29/2013)
I've worked with a few non-profits and the smallers ones always have volunteer technical assistance for building and running websites. Data management is almost always the most manual and work intensive. The opportunities are definitely out there.

Thought I'd put it out there before the train got too far off the tracks. :)
There be no tracks here, this an off-roadin' train! Woohoo!

Our particular skillset(s) can be life-savers to the folks trying to do the work. People will do what needs to be done to get the work done, but sometimes you can save them hours if not weeks of time over the long haul. I need to get more involved myself, so that my son grows up thinking this is just something that you do, not that it's an edge case. Thanks for the reminder Steve!

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1447564
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 8:32 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

There are lots of opportunities. This past weekend was on in CO: http://coloradogivecamp.org/

Feel free to participate or organize your own in your area.

Post #1447568
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 9:01 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 6:36 AM
"Factivism" is fine as long as you use the "true" facts and not skewed facts. As we all know, the "facts" can be twisted and manipulated into whatever you want them to say. Just look at our current administration, they are the masters at skewing the facts, and a lot of people buy them hook, line and sinker.

Post #1447579
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 9:04 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:18 AM
riously? Taxes != charity, regardless of what miniscule percentage of them might go to public programs. If you haven't put in the legwork and raised the money that he has, then you have zero room to criticise.

If you haven't researched Bono's business actions in detail, (facts) and don't know the feelings of many of his countrymen about said actions, then you are free to idolize him. Since much charity is tax deductable and some taxes are used for the greater good, in many cases, taxes can be considered charity.

If you really want to examine facts, there's a "wealth" of information "freely" available from Data.gov, which Steve links too. You might want to stay away from some of the long term economic data, it's quite disturbing to many people's world view. But there are a lot of data sets that are great for developing skills with.

Post #1447582
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 10:00 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:42 PM
I love the comments about any particular gov't or political party. "Current administration", what a joke as in which political party doesn't skew the facts? I also am a Factivist. I try to use good data based on my ethical beliefs to form political decisions (at least when possible). It's very interesting what you get when you do that. Of course I spend too much time researching my facts and not learning more about SQL server and other dev tools!
Post #1447625
Posted Monday, April 29, 2013 10:04 AM

SSC-Dedicated

milzs (4/29/2013)
"Factivism" is fine as long as you use the "true" facts and not skewed facts. As we all know, the "facts" can be twisted and manipulated into whatever you want them to say. Just look at our current administration, they are the masters at skewing the facts, and a lot of people buy them hook, line and sinker.

What's a true fact? What you believe in? Or what you support? Or what's supported by other research? It's easy to complain, and very hard to actually put up a fact that isn't easily disputed to some extent by whoever disagrees.

I'm not defending this, or any other administration, or even activist's view. What I want is the data behind any facts or quotes being available. I'd like people to take contrarian views and debate and discuss the particular situation.

Post #1447628
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse