Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Need Help Stopping a Rouge Extended Procedure (XPSMTP) Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:25 AM
I'm experiencing a very unusual problem with one of our old SQL 2000 installs. Backstory: we've used xpsmtp80.dll on all of our SQL 2000 SQL Agent jobs in the past, with much success. If certain steps in a job ever fail, the agent jumps to a step in the job which uses xp_smtp_sendmail to notify the proper individuals. On one of our remaining SQL 2000 systems, we started receving email alerts that the tlog backup job failed, although there was no failure anywhere in the job. Fast forward a couple weeks, and we have completely deleted the job in question, deleted the extended procedure from SQL, deleted the .dll from the file system, and rebooted the sever. We are still getting these emails exactly when the old job used to run (we do have a new tlog back job that runs at slightly different times and does not use xp_smtp_sendmail).

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is there something in the msdb db that needs to be cleaned up? I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks in advance.
Post #1446628
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:07 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

No progress on this issue yet, but a couple more pieces of information: I have checked the msdb sysjobs and sysjobschedules tables for suspect entries, but there's nothing unusual there. Additionally, I stopped the agent job a few minutes before the phantom task was scheduled to run, but I still got an email at the scheduled time. So, whatever is happening is happening without the agent.
Post #1448230
Posted Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:02 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 12:33 PM
Have you checked to see if there are any tasks running under the Windows Task Manager?

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1448249
Posted Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:08 PM
Forum Newbie

I figured out what had happened here. It turns out someone had cloned the SQL sever without my knowledege and that new server was the one sending the emails. The syntax of messages between the two servers was identical which is why I thought it was coming from the orginal.

Thanks for your input, Lynn.
Post #1448586
Posted Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:42 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 8:05 AM
qgudex (5/1/2013)
I figured out what had happened here. It turns out someone had cloned the SQL sever without my knowledege and that new server was the one sending the emails. The syntax of messages between the two servers was identical which is why I thought it was coming from the orginal.

Thanks for your input, Lynn.

Yikes! Perhaps Skynet is becoming self-aware and resisting efforts to diminish its existing functionality?

Jason Wolfkill
Blog: SQLSouth
Twitter: @SQLSouth
Post #1448865
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse