Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

70-461 - Done, but more difficult than expected Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:03 AM
Just passed the 70-461 SQL Developer Exam Today.

This exam is much harder than I expected.
Its quite syntax heavy, and asks a lot of questions on correct syntax, things that if SSMS didnt like the syntax it would take 30 secs to g00gle the proper syntax. Syntax memorization isnt a real test of knowledge IMO but regadless, its in the exam. correct syntax on index creation, table altering, view creation, grouping, xml, windowing, xml, xml and more xml all came up.

Lots of XML, know the different ways to convert rows to XML, and the differences between those ways to get xml out of tabular data.
Know your windowing functions well.
Know grouping very well.
Know UDF's well, different types and syntax.
Types of triggers and their usage.

Pretty much everything that the exam covers came up so not many shortcuts.
I used the microsoft training book as prep. book is great, but the sample exam is worse than useless. I wouldnt use it AT ALL if doing this again.

Best of luck to all taking this exam.
Post #1444980
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 11:05 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 3:00 PM
I did fairly well on the practice exam last Friday (even with CNN playing in the background), so thanks for deflating my confidence.
Post #1445081
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 11:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:50 AM
Just a warning, discussing what's in the exam is a violation of the NDA that you accepted when writing that exam, so watch what you say about the contents of the exam.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1445090
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 12:10 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:03 AM
No worries, I intended to, and stayed very general, much less detailed than other posts on this site about the exam, but I won't mention anything further on the exam.
Post #1445103
Posted Monday, April 22, 2013 12:21 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 3:20 AM
Not being funny but it's a SQL exam...
DDL (index creation, table altering, view creation), queries with grouping, various join types is what you would expect, no? If it's as bad as Oracle's SQL exam it would probably include lots of generic functions that are used once in a blue moon but somehow make it into the exam~

no idea about "windowing" or xml though :x

Dird

Dird // Junior DBA
11g OCA
10.5 newbie
Post #1445107
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:08 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:05 AM
Thanks for the advice about the prep book practice exam. I tend to use those to get in to exam answering mode. Maybe I'll spring for a different exam test suite. Of all the exams this is the one I'm worried least about, The BI exam that's a totally different story. Looking forward to the material, dreading the exam.
Post #1445403
Posted Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:43 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 3:05 AM
Just passed the 70-461 today so wanted to add my 2 cents.

I actually didn't find it as bad but then again I was expecting it to be murder after reading OP's comments. I wouldn't say that the questions in the Training Toolkit CS are useless but the exam questions are definitely harder. What I would do is read the book carefully, which is great by the way, do all the exercises and practice questions and then do the practice exam since it's more of a warmup than an actual exam simulation.

I can't say anymore because of the Terms and Conditions signed but I would say that it's challenging but doable.
Post #1496397
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:30 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, December 2, 2013 6:49 PM
I'm reading the Training Kit Book and there are sections with a "key" icon. What are the relevance of these verses the sections labled "exam hints"

Also is 2 hours more than enough time for the 200 question exam?
Post #1510000
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:20 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:15 AM
db808 (10/30/2013)
I'm reading the Training Kit Book and there are sections with a "key" icon. What are the relevance of these verses the sections labled "exam hints"

If you know your T-SQL, 2 hours is enough time.
I did it in a bit over an hour.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1510069
Posted Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:39 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 4:32 AM
db808 (10/30/2013)

200 Questions? Do you mean test questions as when I sat my exam there was only 44.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012
Post #1510150
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse