Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Checkpoint Background Process? Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 8:17 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to SQL DBA tasks. I noticed in sp_who2 output a database is showing checkpoint as shown below. Is this process hung since it shows date of 03/08/13? I assume checkpoint is a regular automatic process.

SPID Status DBName Command CPUTime DiskIO LastBatch
13 BACKGROUND Micro_AB CHECKPOINT 3861851 123296 2013/03/08 10:43

Thanks-

Alison
Post #1442749
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 9:21 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:31 AM
This is a rather long time to see a checkpoint running. Is it possible something BIG happened on that particular day?

Checkpoints occur (by default) all the time and are trigger by many internal SQL server operations.

Please check out this article, it might help you understand what is going on - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188748(v=sql.100).aspx

Post #1443081
Posted Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:24 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:46 AM
I have had checkpoint process running into hours after nightly restores of some reporting databases. We figured that the issue was related to disk performance and it had to be resolved at that level. you can use perfmon to know the disk performance.

Post #1443335
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse