Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Reinitialize log shipping in sql server 2008 R2 after activate Secondary server DB Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:39 PM
Hi All,
I have set up logshipping between server A (Primary) and server B (Secondary), and tested log shipping by activate database from server B ( Stop the log shipping job and Restore database with Recovery on server B) . Now i wanted continue the log shiping from this break point . Can continue without restore the full backup from server A ?

Please help

Regards
Suresh

Post #1442360
Posted Monday, April 15, 2013 10:30 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 11:57 AM
afraid not. A restore of an online database has to start with a full restore, so you will need another full backup or use the old full backup again.

If you have not taken another full backup since the one you initialised with you could take a differential backup of server A, and apply that after reapplying your original full backup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1442400
Posted Monday, April 15, 2013 8:21 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, December 7, 2014 11:39 PM
Hi george sibbald,

Thanks, Do you a steps for Full life cycle of Log Shipping ? I wanted steps to follow after activate the server B and tested, than i wanted to set back as stand by mode without restore the full backup again. ( Like a oracle flashback option )

Regards
Suresh
Post #1442561
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:47 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:36 PM
tsdsuresh (4/15/2013)
Hi All,
I have set up logshipping between server A (Primary) and server B (Secondary), and tested log shipping by activate database from server B ( Stop the log shipping job and Restore database with Recovery on server B) . Now i wanted continue the log shiping from this break point . Can continue without restore the full backup from server A ?

Please help

Regards
Suresh

You'll need to configure Log Shipping role switching using this article from Microsoft

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1442631
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:41 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Saturday, November 1, 2014 1:05 PM
Hi ,

It's not possible because your LSN has been breaked. And as you know In logshipping without Log sequence number you can't restore.

Rajesh Singh

+91-9560888360

Rajesh Singh
DBA(HCL Comnet)
+91-0560888360
Post #1442645
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse