Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Don't Accept Defaults Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:23 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:34 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Don't Accept Defaults

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1441101
Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:26 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:13 AM
I thought the title "Don't Accept Defaults" might be about life in general, or in a business/corporate setting.

Either way, it's good advice.
Post #1441527
Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:15 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:42 PM
I agree with not accepting defaults. But if you set a rule against a default -- make it consistent.

My SW company was sold to a different parent company last October. I'm the DBA that is responsible for 99% of the export and conversion to the new SW.

So far, I have had to create a new password for for the AD login to the employee website and email. It has a level of obscurity such as uppercase and length.

Then about a week ago I had to have a login to another AD with different consistency for password strength.

Then today I was forced into another password strength in another system, with a different user id.

I don't use any of the systems, other than the e-mail, to retain any of them over the long-term.

So really my only option is to write or otherwise store, in clear text, my login information.

Where if all systems had a connection, or the same standard, then it wouldn't be a problem. Even worse, one ID is set to never change. One has a 60 day life cycle. The newest one I have no clue.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1441549
Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 11:40 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:01 AM
Thanks for restating this.

I remember one time looking at the installations of SQL Server on developer workstations back in the days where there was a default user and password. As the person in this organization changed with enforcing data security, I was able to log into over half the installations as SA with the default user/password pair and review everting in their local development environment. I was surprised and amazed. I also circulated word to the owners of those installations that they needed to change from the default.

What we do without thinking!

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1441822
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse