Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Merge Statement One Server to another Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:22 PM
Hello,

I have a requirement where I need to insert/update data from a Table A in SqlServer A to
a Table B of a reporting database in SqlServerB .

Currently, I am using a staging table to achieve my task.

I have used merge statements in the past .. but that was only for running queries within the same
sql server.

I would like to know if a merge statement can be used directly to copy from a database from one
Sql Server and insert/update to a database in another Sql Server. ? ( I am planning to use the merge
statement with ssis)
Post #1440489
Posted Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:12 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:41 PM
The target table cannot be remote. Here's a link to a previous posting that might be of some use to you.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic834948-391-1.aspx

Everything is awesome!
Post #1440829
Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 1:37 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:51 PM
Even if MERGE supported such changes, chances are the source resultset from the MERGE would need to be completely copied to the remote server in order to facilitate. Consider creating a table on the remote server, copying your source resultset into it, and then issuing a MERGE on the remote server using EXEC() AT [LinkedServer].

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1441894
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse