Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Moving the SQL Server error logs, SQL Agent logs, and Full-Text logs Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:45 AM
Ok, during the installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 (Enterprise x64) I changed the "Data root directory" thinking it would only affect the system databases (as I wanted them on our NAS). Evidently this also installed the following folders on the NAS:

• FTData (full-text language files)

• Data (system databases)

• Jobs (sql agent job logs)

• Log (sql server logs, sql agent logs, full-text logs)

• I need to move FTData, Jobs, and Log back to where they would have been originally installed. Actually, FTData is moved since it was just a registry key that had to be changed and copy the folder over. But when attempting to move Jobs and Log, when I restart SQL Server I get "access denied" messages on the folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.<myinstance>\MSSQL\Log\.

I know how to change the configurations to tell SQL Server where these files should be, but is there an easy way (other that uninstall/reinstall) to identify/grant the permissions needed for SQL Server to access these locations?

To give a little background on the accounts being used. Each service (sql server, sql agent, full-text) run under different accounts. SQL Server and SQL Agent are both domain accounts, while full-text runs under LOCALSERVICE.
    Post #1438957
    Posted Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:38 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
    Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34 PM
    here are permissions: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx#Reviewing_ACLs

I think you need full control most places.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Post #1439033
    Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:26 PM
    SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Steve, thanks for the link. I'll see if this provides the information on what I need to move these manually.
    Post #1440523
    Posted Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:12 PM
    SSC-Enthusiastic

Hey Steve, I think I found something a tad easier - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323007. Now if anyone is as clumsy as I am they have a way to copy the folder structure and files back to where they want them.
    Post #1440556
    Posted Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:23 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
    Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34 PM
    Interesting. Are you Win2K? Or does the article apply to other versions for you?

I need to save that bookmark. It's a handy article.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Post #1441327
    Posted Friday, April 12, 2013 1:45 AM
    Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 5:53 AM
    XCopy still exists on Win2008, thankfully although slated to be deprecated. Still need to check on 2012 but my feeling is that it is still there

An alternative is Robocopy.

Post #1441597
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse