Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Developing SSIS Packages Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:50 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 25, 2014 7:47 PM
I'm tired of typing this question into Google and getting 1,389,456 wrong answers. So I thought to myself, "Why don't you ask the experts?" So I'm here. I only have SSMS 2008 installed on my machine. I need to start developing SSIS packages. I know I need Visual Studio, but what version?

I have Visual Studio 2010 Premium installed on my machine, but it doesn't have the capability to build SSIS packages. I know SQL Server installation media has Business Intelligence Development Studio on it, is that the only Visual Studio "version" that works for SSIS development?

Thank you in advance!
Post #1436112
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:22 AM
SQL_Enthusiast (3/27/2013)
I'm tired of typing this question into Google and getting 1,389,456 wrong answers. So I thought to myself, "Why don't you ask the experts?" So I'm here. I only have SSMS 2008 installed on my machine. I need to start developing SSIS packages. I know I need Visual Studio, but what version?

I have Visual Studio 2010 Premium installed on my machine, but it doesn't have the capability to build SSIS packages. I know SQL Server installation media has Business Intelligence Development Studio on it, is that the only Visual Studio "version" that works for SSIS development?

Thank you in advance!

The short answer is no but to use VS2010 you need SQL Server 2012 for the package development and yes you can use VS2010 premium for BI development. And it is also better to use SQL Server Developer edition, that is the Enterprise edition with deployment restrictions. The reason is you have access to all the features you can use.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #1436132
Posted Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:54 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:30 PM
BIDS is a trimmed down version of VS2010 with the project templates related to Business Intelligence installed.

i have VS 2010 professional, and I have SQL 2008 standard installed on my machine; when i open Normal Visual Studio, i can create a new project, and select the right template; you should be able to do the same.
AFAIK, it doesn't matter which order they are installed (VS2010, then BIDS, or vice versa), because the templates are installed in a common location.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1436142
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:44 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:03 PM
BIDS is all you need! Install it and go to town.
Post #1436671
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:22 AM
tmitchelar (3/28/2013)
BIDS is all you need! Install it and go to town.

The VS2010 Premium comes with more BI development templates than BIDS, I am running the Ultimate edition which includes Tabular projects.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #1436792
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse