Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Should I backup more than the database(s) on a server? Expand / Collapse
Author

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 11:54 AM
Grant Fritchey (3/23/2013)
In addition to backups, if you're developing the databases, I'd get the source for the structures and code into a source control management system. I'm pretty sure there ways to do that with SSIS packages too.

What steps or how do I go about creating a "source control management system"? I have no buget to purchase one.
Post #1434958
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 10:27 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:05 PM
Sqlraider (3/25/2013)
In addition to backups, if you're developing the databases, I'd get the source for the structures and code into a source control management system. I'm pretty sure there ways to do that with SSIS packages too.

What steps or how do I go about creating a "source control management system"? I have no buget to purchase one.

There are free ones online such as SVN. If you have an MSDN license, you already have on in Team Foundation Services.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1435017
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 10:58 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 11:54 AM
Grant Fritchey (3/25/2013)
Sqlraider (3/25/2013)

There are free ones online such as SVN. If you have an MSDN license, you already have on in Team Foundation Services.

Thanks, I'll look into those.
Post #1435053
Posted Monday, March 25, 2013 11:30 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:09 PM
SQLKnowItAll (3/22/2013)
Our SE team takes snapshots/images of the server itself for this purpose. Although, we store our SSIS packages in MSDB, so those are protected by MSDB backups.

I would be careful about recovering SSIS packages from MSDB. If that system crashed and you build a new system that is not the exact same version you could have problems.

Besides, there are several source control systems available where you really should be managing these kinds of objects. SSIS packages are basically code - so a code repository would be the best solution, in my opinion.

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunites brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs
Post #1435074
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse