Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

ssis Logging FIle vs syslog table in database Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:22 PM
Hello everyone !!

I am planning to implement SSIS logging . I have tried both the log to a file and log to the database . I am having a hard time choosing among the two.

I would like to get some advice from some of the more experienced SSIS developers if any one of them would be better in the long run?

I also intend to set up an email notification on failed tasks and send the log details via email.
Post #1434365
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 10:24 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, January 13, 2014 7:34 AM
I've done both and found tables to be easier to get the info you need out such as timings of steps etc. However i have generally found that support/help teams prefer text file logging. In my previous place we used tables then moved to text files because the help guys preferred it - they never really got to grips with querying a table when things went wrong (they were a bunch of numpties tho).

So my opinion is it depends on who will support your load

Mack
Post #1434378
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 11:25 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:03 PM
It may be coincidence, but I've never worked for a company that uses text files for logging or auditing - always table driven. Personally, I'd never use text files for similar reasons that I'm not a fan of using .raw files. Everything should use tables IMO. The person above makes a good case for the possibility of text files, but most DW troubleshooting is done by the developers and I just couldn't imagine using text files vs the ease of querying a table. Kimball has a nice auditing framework that provides the basics - for free. I've seen a lot of companies use this as their base and then expand upon it.
Post #1434429
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 11:29 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
+1 ... I would go for a table too. Much more flexible.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #1434438
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 12:35 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:22 PM
Thank you guys !
I would start logging with a table.
Post #1434475
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse