Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

How do I specify TLS as Database Mail? Expand / Collapse
Author
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:49 AM
I work for a university. Recently we've changed mail servers and are now using Office 365 (or at least the Exchange Server part of it), for email. We've got a departmental email which I use for our SQL 2005 Database Mail. We've gotten a notice that in a couple of weeks the SMTP client user and replay server to change, and that I'll have to set up Database Mail to use TLS and a port other than 25. I set up Database Mail some time ago, so I had to hop back into it, to see if I could change that, but it doesn't appear to me as though I can change Database Mail to use TLS. Am I wrong about that? If I am, how do I change it to use TLS?

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Post #1433811
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:58 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:51 PM
Rod at work (3/21/2013)
I work for a university. Recently we've changed mail servers and are now using Office 365 (or at least the Exchange Server part of it), for email. We've got a departmental email which I use for our SQL 2005 Database Mail. We've gotten a notice that in a couple of weeks the SMTP client user and replay server to change, and that I'll have to set up Database Mail to use TLS and a port other than 25. I set up Database Mail some time ago, so I had to hop back into it, to see if I could change that, but it doesn't appear to me as though I can change Database Mail to use TLS. Am I wrong about that? If I am, how do I change it to use TLS?

TLS = SSL. Configure the account to send email using SSL. Chances are the port number number will need to be changed as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1433984
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:19 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Are you sure? The reason why I ask is because the email I've gotten from the unviersity IT says,
Please Note: Unlike the previous email system, <the new mail system> only supports TLS encryption, regardless of the port number used. The deprecated SMTPS/SSL encryption method over port 465 will not be supported.
That suggests to me that SSL isn't going to work, unless SMTPS/SSL is something different from SSL.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Post #1434024
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:56 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:51 PM
I have used the SSL feature in Database Mail with success. Have you tried it out?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1434040
Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 7:50 AM
Right there with Babe

No, but I will.

Kindest Regards,

Rod
Post #1434277
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse