Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Log Shipping Compression Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:56 PM
Hello, does anybody know if any versions of SQL have the ability to compress log files before shipping. The plan was to log ship from the local data centre to a SQL instance in EC2 (Amazon Cloud) but due to the high latency we get from here (NZ) to Amazon (Singapore) a large file takes an unrealistic time to copy. Therefore compression would be a help.

We are currently using SQL 2008 STD.

I think I have read the SQL 2008 Enterprise editions have this feature but I am unsure if SQL 2008 R2 STD or SQL 2012 STD also have this feature as I think normal backup compression was added to these additions....thanks
Post #1432930
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:23 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 4:07 PM
sql 2008 enterprise has this feature. From Sql 2008R2 it was available in the standard edition.

If you are on 2008 standard there are a number of third party tools that will provide backup compression for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1432932
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:26 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:56 PM
thanks, and as far as you know the backup compression on R2 STD and 2012 STD compresses log files created from a standard log backup regime or via a log shipping backup regime?

Post #1432943
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:09 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:57 PM
It is configurable. Run sp_help_log_shipping_primary_database against master on your primary instance and look for the backup_compression column

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1432981
Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:18 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 2:57 PM
Given that you are shipping across the internet I would encrypt my backup too. that you cannot do with SQL Server built-in stuff. Either get third party tool (which may not be functional on AWS instance) or use 7zip et al to handle compression/encryption and build a simple process to handle decryption/compression in cloud (should be doable, but not haven't tried it).

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1433857
Posted Thursday, May 9, 2013 10:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 28, 2013 9:37 PM
try following link

http://chathurangai.blogspot.com/2013/04/log-compression-in-log-shipping.html
Post #1451239
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse