Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Loading Users into instance security Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:44 AM
We are moving from a server with SQL server 2005 to one with SQL server 2008. Is there any way to script a bulk load of users into the instance security? I have mounted the databases, from backup, but need to get the users set-up in the instance. With over 1,000 users this would take a while going through the SSMS GUI interface.
Post #1432661
Posted Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:41 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:17 AM
I am assuming you meant Logins and not Users. Users are at the database level and are stored within the databases themselves so should come over when you restore the backups to the new instance.

To bring the Server Logins across you'll want to make sure you maintain the SIDs for the SQL Server-authentication-based Logins, else the Users in all your databases linked to those Logins on the new instance will be orphaned. You can do this by following this article:

How to transfer logins and passwords between instances of SQL Server

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1432745
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:29 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Yep that is it. Thanks.
Post #1436553
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:14 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:17 AM
My pleasure. One item of note, the revlogin proc does not pickup Fixed Server Role membership. Here is a query you can adapt to pickup those memberships as well. I actually have it incorporated in a custom version of the revlogin proc I use. I would share the whole thing but it has some other items in it that are specific to my utiltiy database so it's not easily shareable.

SELECT  'EXEC master.sys.sp_addsrvrolemember @loginame = ''' + SUSER_SNAME(r.sid) + ''', @rolename = ''' + p.name + ''';
'
FROM master.sys.server_principals r
JOIN master.sys.server_role_members m ON r.principal_id = m.member_principal_id
JOIN master.sys.server_principals p ON m.role_principal_id = p.principal_id;

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1436626
Posted Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:37 PM
SSC Veteran

Thanks... our roles are simple, but that does save a bunch of key strokes.
Post #1436745
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse