Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 
        
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On


Add to briefcase

Special characters in SSIS Expand / Collapse
Author
Message
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 8:26 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 27, 2014 2:40 AM
Points: 103, Visits: 150
Hi,

I have an issue with the loading of our data warehouse to do with special characters.

The source seems to replacing the characters with a % symbol, and I'm struggling to resolve it without changing the underlying table type from VarChar to NVarchar (which I really don't want to do).

The source database is on the same server as the warehouse but the collations are different.
The source database has a sort order of 850
The destination database is a sort order of 1252

Source and destination columns are both Varchar(50).

I can perform a simple SQL Update on each database and the characters are accepted.

If I perform a Preview on the OLE DB Source it shows the fields correctly, but when I run it (and put a data viewer on it) I can see the special characters are lost.

I've been playing with the DefaultCodePage and AlwaysUseDefaultCodePage on the Source connection with no joy.

Am I looking in the correct place?

Thanks,

Graham
Post #1432204
Posted Monday, March 18, 2013 10:08 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 27, 2014 2:40 AM
Points: 103, Visits: 150

FYI - I have resolved this myself.

I think I was getting confused over the "AlwaysUseDefaultCodePage" property of the DataSource, I thought it was behaving in the opposite way.

Setting AlwaysUseDefaultCodePage to True means that it will use the Code Page specified in the DefaultCodePage property.

I thought it would use the SQL Server default code page.

SO in my case, I set this value to True and set the value of the DefaultCodePage to be 50.

I then checked that the advanced properties were using the correct code page for the Input, Output and Error Properties.
Then of course I had to delete and recreate all of the Unions but it now all seems to work.

Hoe that helps someone else!
:)

Graham
Post #1432248
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse