Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The Gambler Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:16 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Gambler

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1430728
Posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:51 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 13, 2014 5:16 AM
It's a good point Steve, just like insurance. I hate paying exorbitant premiums but am always grateful that I did for the rare circumstance, where I need to make a claim.

Running checks on your database is insurance against loss of profit or even loss of the entire business. If you hope that your db is not corrupted and it is, you may also find that your backups are corrupt as well.

So ask yourself what impact total data loss will have on your business. If the impact is trivial then maybe you don't need to worry.
Post #1430750
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:35 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:34 PM
Very good point Steve. Checkdb is insurance. I just ran into two clients (new) in the same day with some level of corruption in their databases. Neither had been running checkdb against the databases in question. And neither had a corruption free backup (one had no backups since 2008 for the database). Those were the types of things I got to remedy today. The lack of checkdb and lack of backup is a gamble that could cripple an organization - depending on the criticality of data in the database.

Don't take that risk - just not worth it.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1430779
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:42 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 8:06 AM
Slight hitch in the analogy - insurance payments cost something. Running DBCC checks costs nothing. What did this clown think he was saving by avoiding DBCC checks? A couple seconds of his own time to glance at the results? A few milliwatts of processor power? Wear and tear on his drives from some disk reads?

Claiming that "we've never had a problem" is pretty lame reasoning when part of the job is the ensure that problems don't crop up. I'm with you, Steve - I'd likely fire someone who displayed such a cavalier attitude towards system safety. Shitcanning a lax DBA is a sound problem-prevention technique on the part of a careful and conscientious manager, just like running DBCC is problem-prevention technique on the part of a good DBA.
Post #1430795
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:53 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 2:09 AM
Hi Steve,

We also almost never run CHECKDB.
This is because it takes tooooooo long.
I'm taking something above 50 hours.

When we restore a backup onto our test system, the normal procedure is to run CHECKDB, if time permits.

I would like to be able to run something that does the same thing as CHECKDB, but concurrently with the normal daily processing.
Do you know of such a thing?

Best regards,
Henrik Staun Poulsen
Stovi Software

Post #1430802
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:12 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 10:27 AM
With most of the people here - just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it can't / won't happen to you.

I wonder if they would take the same approach to backups?

-------------------------------
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Smart way to ask a question

There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx
Post #1430826
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:30 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 5:46 AM
henrik staun poulsen (3/14/2013)
Hi Steve,

When we restore a backup onto our test system, the normal procedure is to run CHECKDB, if time permits.

I would like to be able to run something that does the same thing as CHECKDB, but concurrently with the normal daily processing.

Best regards,
Henrik Staun Poulsen
Stovi Software

I believe SQL Skills www.sqlskills.com provide consultancy on tailoring checks on VLDB systems. Gail Shaw aka Gilamonster and http://www.brentozar.com/ also provide consultancy and training for VLDB, although I'm not sure about this specific topic

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1430892
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:09 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:42 AM
Our DB2/LUW DBAs laughed at our hours of consistency checks, thinking it was an artifact of MSSQL.

Unfortunately, vindication came early this year, when their entire data warehouse had to be restored to recover a table lost to corruption.
Post #1430989
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:27 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
You guys are concentrating on the wrong thing here. it is not running DBCC consistency checks regularly on your database that is the real issue of importancy here. Most competent and veteran DBA's are doing this anyway. It is the rash and foolish actions that many take after they see the results of running DBCC checks that make things much much worse. First thing. don't panic and do something stupid after looking at the results of a DBCC command!!! Paul Randal talks about this constsntly ad nauseum in his seminars and on his blogs. He wrote DBCC CHECKDB so believe me he would know. DBCC CHECKDB is a powerful tool, but it is also very dangerous in the wrong hands. There is a great article below on the use and abuse of DBCC. Also, to the VLDB issue, you can run DBCC CHECKFILEGROUP on the INDIVIDUAL filegroups (which you should be using on a VLDB anyway) which cuts that VLDB up into smaller more manageable chunks..Justifying not performing a DBCC check because the database is just too big and takes too long is foolish and lazy IMHO. HTH.

http://www.sql-server-pro.com/dbcc-checkdb.html

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1431007
Posted Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:19 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:16 PM
henrik staun poulsen (3/14/2013)
Hi Steve,

Best regards,
Henrik Staun Poulsen
Stovi Software

You can run physical only, which does some checks, but not all of it.

The only solution is to really get a good second box and throw some horsepower on it. I'd try to run it every week.

The other thing which is a "cheap" check, but is semi-safe for me, is to run a SELECT * from all tables and if they all complete, at least you have all your data accessible.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1431054
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse